When is a dedicated graphics card needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnord

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I am wondering when a dedicated graphics card, such as a ATI or nVidia card, is really needed in a laptop? And when is integraded intel graphics enough?

I know the extra power is needed for most games, but what other programs needs it to run?

I ask because I have been looking for a cheap laptop mainly to do school work on. That is it would mainly be used to surf the web, write using open office or similar and to watch a DVD now and then. The machine would never be used for gaming.

I would just like to know how much I would be limiting my self by getting a machine with intel integrated graphics?

(Specifically I am looking at something like this: Acer Aspire 5742)

Solution
Games, high def content, even some web games will have issues playing. Don't cheap out on getting a laptop, it's not like a desktop where you can upgrade most components, you are pretty much stuck with what you buy till you get a new one. If you know that you will not want to play any games or watch movies for the next 4-5 years, get any video card, otherwise it's better to spend more now than be stuck with something you don't like.
Games, high def content, even some web games will have issues playing. Don't cheap out on getting a laptop, it's not like a desktop where you can upgrade most components, you are pretty much stuck with what you buy till you get a new one. If you know that you will not want to play any games or watch movies for the next 4-5 years, get any video card, otherwise it's better to spend more now than be stuck with something you don't like.

Solution

Regular DVDs will play fine, but even then you won't have the same quality as you would with a dedicated video card. Colors, shadows, don't look as good in most integrated graphics.

pnord

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
OK, well that changes things a bit for me.
I was thinking maybe video and photo editing and heavy stuff like that wouldnt run so well. I didnt know that even simple things like watching movies would be effected.

Status
Not open for further replies.