How to transfer programs from one hard drive to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

docshank

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I have a friend that has a laptop that the motherboard went bad on. He got another computer, but he wants to move some of the programs from the hard drive of his old laptop to his new laptop. How would he be able to do this? He doesn't have the installation discs for the programs. Right now I don't even know what the programs are. Is it even possible to do this? Thanks in advance.

docshank

Hello docshank;

He should able to access the old HDD by putting it inside an external enclosure and he can then access the HDD over a USB connection.
Here is an example: BYTECC BT-280U2-SL IDE 2.5" Silver USB 2.0 External Enclosure about $8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145082
Note this is for an IDE HDD and your friend may have a SATA HDD so double check to get the right type.

With some older programs you can actually just copy the whole folder over in the other computer.
But with newer programs that need to be registered in the Windows Registry you'll need more tools to get them working.
Look into using a program like Laplink PC Mover http://www.laplink.com/pcmover

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
You could,,,, copy the program files directory out to another directory, remove only windoze specific stuff, write same to cd/dvd, copy to new hdd, note,, some programs will work, some may not and those WILL need to be reinstalled..........:)

I start w/ one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

You can not Ghost the drive simply because the hardware of the old laptop differs from the new one. You can copy the program folders from one drive to the older. This will allow some programs to work, but others will require reinstallation to set up registry entries. However all customizations will be saved and in most cases you can even "borrow" installation media.

docshank

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
If he puts his old hard drive into an external enclosure, can he run his programs using another computer with this hard drive hooked up via a usb cable? Thanks in advance.

docshank

Probably not. In most cases programs must be 'installed' into the operating system order to work correctly. That creates the registry entries JackNaylorPE mentions.

There are some much older programs that don't have that same installation requirement and those types of programs will run from the external drive. For those types of programs you could also just move the whole program folder from the external drive into the new HDD and it would work normally.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
^+1 It won't be as simple as just copying folders/files. I think the only safe way to do this would be to reinstall.

Find-out what the programs were, hope that he still got the licenses and find a place to ask for new media or download installation programs again.

jscynder

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey I don't mean to thread necro. but couldn't you simply plug the laptop drive at the main drive in a desktop and export the registry keys and copy the folders to a usb drive? Ive done similar just not on a massive scale

tattered tees

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
keys are those the liscenses that are needed to propperly run programs? I have a particular program im trying to transfer onto my upgraded pc the program is liscensed but the program was also given to me by a former employee of a company so i have no way to get the liscense again.. is there anyway to get that program from my old laptop to the new laptopwithout having to reenter the keys? any help is appreciated.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.