Solved! Please help me buy a Laptop

mbcrump

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
1. What is your budget? $1000 and under.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" or under

3. What screen resolution do you want? At least 1024x768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement laptop

5. How much battery life do you need? 2-4 Hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No, it would be nice as a bonus. (starcraft 2, command and conquor would be nice)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I am a developer so I will be using Visual Studio 2010 and Expression Blend 4. I will also use this laptop for presentations using Power Point.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 300GB or better. Wondering if I can find a laptop that will allow me to use a SSD and a 300GB 5400 RPM Drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I considered the following : http://www.amazon.com/N61JQ-XV1-16-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/tech-data/B0041RRVOG/ref=de_a_smtd but I am not sure if I could add a SSD or if 4GB of ram is enough.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't care at all about the brand.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I am primary wanting to use this computer for software development on the road.

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Samsung QX410. It has switchable graphics, which will save you battery power. It also has an i5 processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 640 GB of hard drive space. It is a great option for a multitude of tasks and has a nice, portable 14" screen.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Embra

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008

^+1 ... nice unit. :)