Solved! Help me find a new laptop.

zornig

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$600 ish usd

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-15.6 inch if possible

3. What screen resolution do you want?
anything within reason.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Its for school, so probably mostly portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I don't think i'll be too far from an outlet so its not much of an issue.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Possibly, I play wow and sc2 but I don't think i'll be doing much of that at school

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I'm starting the long path to becoming an electrical engineer, so all the programs I would need to do that. Probably stuff like visual studio, some 3d mapping programs and other stuff like that.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
not much, anything over 100 gigs is probably enough

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2ish years if not longer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
cd/dvd if possible, but if worse comes to worse i can get an external drive on the cheap.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've had 2 HP's and both have given me a little trouble but I wouldn't rule them out entirely if the price/spec's were right.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm looking for a laptop that gives me the most computing power/speed for my buck. I know I don't have much of a budget to work with but I'm doing my best to change that, maybe by the time I replace this one I'll have a real job and will be able to afford something a little more extravagant.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Ehh, mate. You could walk into any store and buy a laptop that will do what you specified above.

That said, you will not get much performance out of it for only $600. Take a look at this for example: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-x52fxf1-p-2944.html?wconfigure=yes

It has a 2.0GHz dual core cpu and Intel graphics so it will not really do you for games... Or videos or heavy graphic design. That said, it is cheap and it will be fine for internet browsing and documenting (the standard college stuff)

I personally have a slightly larger budget - $1500 - and I am looking at an ASUS G53 which will allow me to watch HD movies and play almost any game.

Hope this helps,
-Klosteral

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Solution

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
the dell mentioned above is also a fine choice apart from the fact that it will not run games on med graphics on playable frame rates, if you want something that just run the games whether on low or med(if graphics doesnt matter) then go with the above mentioned, or if you want med/high graphics then go with my mentioned.
Good luck bro.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Wow. I really do not look around much, I had no idea you could get that kind of machine so cheap; an AMD tri-core 2.2GHz and 5650M for under $700? But then one must pay shipping and taxes - about $200.

Definetely go with raza's second option if you can.

I wonder if you guys could find me an ASUS G53 (or equivilent) for under $1500AUD?