Solved! Aspire 5720Z Ram and BIOS issues

roha0612

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I have found a couple of problems with my laptop over the last couple of days. I had decided to install windows 7 and do a small upgrade to my aspire 5720Z at the same time. I wanted to change the 2 sticks of 1Gig of ram for 2 sticks of 2 Gigs of ram to improve the speed and then I wanted to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Before changing the OS I installed the new ram and watched the blue screen of death. Everything in my BIOS was showing good (4095mb of ram) but before windows would boot I would get a 0x00000019 blue screen of death and the laptop would try to reboot itself.

I know it is the right RAM and that it is installed correctly and that both sticks are in good working condition. If I put only one of the sticks in, it doesn't matter which stick, the laptop will boot up with no issues. It has to have something to do with it being 4 gig instead of 2 gig.

After fighting with the ram I was getting tired and annoyed. I decided to move on to installing Windows 7. More frustration insued. I wanted to upgrade to the 64 bit but my Windows Vista is only a 32 bit so I would have to do a clean install. The problem with that was when I went into my BIOS to try and tell it to boot off of the CD/DVD-ROM there was no option for it. On the main screen of my BIOS the DVD player is listed with its full information but it is not an option to boot from. Without it being listed I had to install the Windows 7 32 bit version because I could do that from within windows.

One last thing.....I did try to install that second stick of 2 gig ram after I had windows 7 installed and had the same result. If anyone could help me with the RAM and BIOS issues that would be awesome.

Thanks

NoNameWill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
F12 will just let you change boot order for that session. Though I think you have to enable it in BIOS first. At least that is what I had to do.

I just looked at your specs. It says 2gb max of ram.

roha0612

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
One issue solved with the ram. It sucks but such is life. As for the bios issue, F2 gets me into my bios and F8 gets me into the boot up sequence. It doesn't matter which one I use they give the same result, no cd-rom/DVD player listed anywhere.

NoNameWill

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
While in bios if you push the arrow keys to the right or left to navigate Then Up or Down while in those pages. You don't get to the boot sequence? There should be the selection of Information, Main, Security, Boot, Exit. Don't use the F key options in BIOS at least for know. On Main there may or not be the option to select boot option of what ever F key to select boot option at the splash screen instead of in BIOS.

You might have to delve in the boot section of BIOS to add the cd-rom drive if it has been disabled from the boot sequence.
Hope this helps.

kiwisa

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
To change the boot sequence you push F2 to get into the BIOS and arrow keys to get to your Devices page and then you use the F5 and F6 buttons to move the hard drive up or down and the next device, DVD drive will move up and down accordingly, I am having problems with adding an extra 2 GB of RAM but as stated earlier that's all it can handle...such as life.