Solved! $500-$700 Laptop Suggestions

Truckman

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$500 - $700 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6" Screen Size preferred.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366 X 768 minimum

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not necessarily a desktop replacement, with the emphasis on portability. But it should be able to stand well enough on it's own if needed.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Current "average" specs are OK. Not necessary to have super long battery life.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No real games, just the Facebook dice games my wife plays. :sarcastic:

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Minor photo editing (crop, rotate, resize, etc...), watching movies, streaming online videos, TV shows and movies (for example, Hulu), online surfing multiple tabs open simultaneously, MS Office apps, multi-tasking.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320GB should be more than enough. I'd prefer to have a faster 7200rpm 320GB drive than a slower 5400rpm 500GB drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
See Link Below

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 - 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD+/-RW or whatever - I think they call them Multi's now?

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I seem to lean towards the Toshiba and ASUS names, although I can't really say why. Maybe I've just fallen for marketing and/or internet hype? I do have a friend who is happy with his Toshiba. I am open to any recommendations though.

13. What country do you live in?
USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

This particular laptop has caught my eye, and I seem to keep coming back to it. ASUS A52F-X1

I also like that this one has a 7200rpm 500GB HDD.... HP dv6t

Solution
So long as you don't play any hardcore games, I think that the Asus you found is a winner, not to mention a really good deal. If you want something with a bit more graphics punch, I'd suggest looking into something with a dedicated GPU. Otherwise, you'd be good to go with the Asus.
So long as you don't play any hardcore games, I think that the Asus you found is a winner, not to mention a really good deal. If you want something with a bit more graphics punch, I'd suggest looking into something with a dedicated GPU. Otherwise, you'd be good to go with the Asus.

Solution