Solved! Need tips on cleaning my laptop ..

ahmadka

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey all .. So I've been using that laptop for just over a year and I think my laptops asking for some cleaning .. I also have plans to maybe sell off this laptop and get a newer machine .. I plan to clean it as much as possible so that it looks almost new, if possible ..

So the following are some pictures of my laptop .. Kindly suggest to me what supplies I would need for the cleaning and what procedures I should follow .. Please don't simply refer me to some generalized Youtube video regarding laptop cleaning as such videos don't address all aspects of cleaning .. For example, how do I clean the speaker section just above the media bar buttons (this whole panel of little dots) ..

Thanks in advance people .. :)

dsc04510t.jpg

dsc04517a.jpg

dsc04522d.jpg

dsc04524.jpg

dsc04525e.jpg

dsc04527g.jpg

dsc04529x.jpg

dsc04532.jpg

dsc04533v.jpg

dsc04538.jpg

Solution
The best thing to use is slightly watered down rubbing alcohol or windex. Just apply the stuff to a papertowel and lightly clean the outside. A microfiber cloth would be the best but a papertowel will do. Make sure that the laptop is unplugged and the batery is removed. Also a can of compressed air will do wonders in the small cracks and crevices. If you want to clean out the cpu/gpu heatsink its best to fully remove it from the laptop before you clean it. If not your just blowing all the dirt and dust back into the laptop and it will either come right back to clog the heatsink or it will clog something else inside the laptop.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
The best thing to use is slightly watered down rubbing alcohol or windex. Just apply the stuff to a papertowel and lightly clean the outside. A microfiber cloth would be the best but a papertowel will do. Make sure that the laptop is unplugged and the batery is removed. Also a can of compressed air will do wonders in the small cracks and crevices. If you want to clean out the cpu/gpu heatsink its best to fully remove it from the laptop before you clean it. If not your just blowing all the dirt and dust back into the laptop and it will either come right back to clog the heatsink or it will clog something else inside the laptop.

Solution

ahmadka

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm not an expert at laptop dissection so I would at this stage only like to clean it from the top, to make it look as good as new ... once this is done I can try and maybe open it up and clean the internals too ..

How can I clean the speaker area (the area with all those little dots) and the multimedia buttons area ? These are the areas which I have no clue on regarding cleaning ..