Solved! Dell Studio 1555 HOT AS HELL... what's going on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdmaris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,

Hey guys... i'm having a bit of an issue..

I got this dell studio 1555 last year for college and over time it has started giving me a horrible headache...

first of all, its become WAYYYY TOO SLUGGISH... I take awesome care of it, defragging my hard drive every weekend and running scans on it regularly. I know for a fact that its not a virus or cloggy hard drive.

Its temperature is stupidly high on idle... here's a screenshot at idle:
kd3nyg.png

I use this laptop 90% studying and 10% entertainment (watching movies, playing video games in my spare time), and this computer sucks for both right now. I had 4 excel sheets open last night and it was so slow to alt tab between them... over time my performance has gone down dramatically.

i don't have game time for wow, but i am able to play on their PTR, so i tried that out (all low settings duh this laptop isn't meant for gaming) and it shut off after 5 minutes....

is this bad? what is going on???

Solution

The fan may be on it's way out if it hasn't already kicked the bucket. As Ko mentioned, definitely get Dell to fix it if it is still under warranty. Also, with temps that high in WoW, don't play. You are right on the edge where your system is going to shut itself down from heat. If you go beyond that (shouldn't happen) then you risk damage to the processor.

kdmaris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
that's the messed up part =/

i opened and cleaned out my system using one of those air cleaner cans. took out the dust (was very minimal).

edit: did this last friday

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
You're not the only one experiencing the overheating problem. I think there's a design flaw in the cooling solution in this Dell model.

If it's still under warranty, make sure you get Dell to fix the problem. Don't let them shirk their responsibilities.

kdmaris

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I can hear the fan (its a whirring sound i can hear coming from below the top right of the keyboard), but I can't really feel any air coming out.. Its hot near the vents, but can't really feel any push of air...

The fan may be on it's way out if it hasn't already kicked the bucket. As Ko mentioned, definitely get Dell to fix it if it is still under warranty. Also, with temps that high in WoW, don't play. You are right on the edge where your system is going to shut itself down from heat. If you go beyond that (shouldn't happen) then you risk damage to the processor.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.