parth_105

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
which one is the best of them

Specifications:

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor, 2.13GHz, 3MB L3 Cache

MEMORY: 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM), Max supported =8192MB

VIDEO GRAPHICS: Intel® HD Graphics with up to 1696MB Total Available Graphics Memory HARD DRIVE: 320GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)

MULTIMEDIA DRIVE: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

DISPLAY: 15.6" Diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1366x768)

COMMUNICATIONS: Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector), Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN

DIGITAL MEDIA: 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

AUDIO: Altec Lansing

WEBCAM: webcam with integrated microphone

EXTERNAL NOTEBOOK PORTS: 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 1 Headphone out, 1 microphone-in, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA (15-pin), 1 RJ -45 (LAN)

BATTERY: 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

SOFTWARE: Symantec Norton Internet Security™ 2010 60-day Trial,HP Assistant, HP PC Recovery, HP Advisor, Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Office 2007 Home & Student 60-day Trial, Microsoft® Silverlight, Sun® Java, Rhapsody® Music Store, eBay®, Windows Live™ Photo Gallery, Cyberlink Power DVD, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Adobe® Reader, Adobe® Flash, HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent, Cyberlink MediaShow, HP Set Up, Windows Live™ Movie Maker, Windows Live™ Messenger, Windows Live™ Mail, Windows Live™ Writer, Skype, MSN Toolbar, Microsoft® Portal, Accellor (Broadband Aggregator in HP Setup)

WARRANTY AND SUPPORT: 1-Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Toll Free Support (NA), 1-Year Free Hardware Technical Support, 30-Days Free Limited Software Support with 1-Year (from date of purchase), Free Limited Software Support with Product Registration.

Specifications:

Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor P6100 (2.0GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics

Memory: Configured with 4GB DDR3 1066MHz

Storage Drive: 320GB Serial ATA hard disk drive

Optical Disk Drive: DVD/CD Combo burner/reader

Display: 15.6” widescreen display (1366x768)

Sound: Stereo speakers

Webcam: Integrated web camera

Communications: 10/100 Ethernet, WiFi 802.11 B/G/N

Expandability: 5-in-1 Memory Card Reader (MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital Card, xD Picture Card)

Ports: 2 USB 2.0, 1 USB2.0/eSATA combo, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 Microphone input jack, 1 Headphone out jack

Battery: 6 cell Lithium Ion battery

Software:

OneKey™ Rescue System, Lenovo Energy Management, Adobe® Reader® , McAfee VirusScan 2009 Trial Version, Windows Live™ Toolbar, VeriFace™ face recognition, Power2Go, WinDVD® , ReadyComm, Microsoft® Office 2007 Trial Version, DDNi

Warranty:

1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY

Solution
You NEED both firewall and AV. You might never trigger the AV protection, if you're lucky and avoid bad sites, but better to have it than not.

Which leads me to this.
#1, looks to be a HP, not a Sony because of the :"HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent," statement, and comes with one of the worst AV programs out there, Norton.

#2 come with McAfee, which is better than the Symantec butchered Norton product. It does appear to be a Lenovo because of "Lenovo Energy Management"

Now, I personally would not be happy with either for even games a couple years old. But, between these two HP and Lenovo models, the Lenovo is probably the better choice overall. It will probably hold up better than the HP... by how much IDK as I don't have a clue as...
They are both terrible choices. Intel HD? It's only good for playing Solitaire. You will regret buying either laptops.

Not necessarily. If it is just for Internet and Office like app usage, it'll do just fine. I have an Intel HD card in my laptop and that's all I use it for. I've never had a problem with it. If I want to run anything that requires any zip, I just use the desktop.

G

I haven't used a desktop in almost 7 years. So for me it's the laptop or I'm stuck. Every now and then I search the web for people who have successfully upgraded their GPU but zero results. I think GPU is critical. I don't want 720p HD video (offline avi or online Flash) to tear when I'm watching it. I don't want a simple 3D scene to lag just because I went cheap and picked Intel HD. I'm sorry, I can't side with you on that aweful integrated card and I'm not duplicating costs by buying a bulky desktop, screen etc.

Well, it's a matter of how one uses their laptop I guess. In your case, I understand how the GPU matters to you. If having a laptop capable of handling 720p, intense gaming, etc... is what you like, more power to ya. But in others case, say, those who use a laptop for simple matters, I personally don't think it makes much of a difference. Not to mention, those that have a desktop or a workstation for more intensive usage.

Simply put, I'm saying that not everyone out there needs a suped up laptop, but depending on their use, a dedicated GPU, for example, may be worthwhile.

G

Ok here's my problem. I have firewall and antivirus running all the time. A friend told me you don't need AV if you have FW, but then that friend's internet cache was full of pdf and java exploits when I scanned it. My Nod32 blocks a website if it contains injection code and I'm happy my FW warns me when a program tries to contact the internet. The downside is that I have a Windows XP which boots up with reduced processor potential. How do I know that? When I re-installed XP on my new hard-drive, no AV-FW, it felt like a beast. So either get a good CPU now or comprise and buy it cheaper off eBay in year-2 or year-3.

As for GPU, it was an average-nvidia 4 years ago, now it's below bare-minimum. But my laptop is still running and I can't even have a proper 3D screensaver or watch Winamp visuals in fullscreen. I'd like to play that one game, Starcraft2, but that's not possible. So maybe you can start to see the picture. It'd have been wiser for me to spend that little bit extra on a better GPU or say to myself, those GPU are horrible & overpriced, let me wait. But then how to make such a decision, you'd have to know a bit about GPU architecture and from that be able to tell what's a con and what's value for money... am getting there :)

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
You NEED both firewall and AV. You might never trigger the AV protection, if you're lucky and avoid bad sites, but better to have it than not.

Which leads me to this.
#1, looks to be a HP, not a Sony because of the :"HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent," statement, and comes with one of the worst AV programs out there, Norton.

#2 come with McAfee, which is better than the Symantec butchered Norton product. It does appear to be a Lenovo because of "Lenovo Energy Management"

Now, I personally would not be happy with either for even games a couple years old. But, between these two HP and Lenovo models, the Lenovo is probably the better choice overall. It will probably hold up better than the HP... by how much IDK as I don't have a clue as to which models you are referring to.

Solution
G

I've been looking at Lenovo specs... quite terrible. :cry: