Is my hardware good enough to play 1080p Movies?

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I currently own a ASUS G50VT-X5.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7450 2.13Ghz
9800M GS
4Gig Ram

It lags when I try playing 1080p movies (.mkv files) and I don't know why, is it my CPU? I also have the following installed: CoreAVC Pro, AC3Filter, and VLCPlayers. Can someone give me a solution to this lag?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
^ I believe his computer is a laptop, not easy to upgrade the CPU

OP. some questions:
(1) are you using the HDMI output to a large screen LCD. If so, Your CPU is close to the min (Around 2.0 for a C2D - for desktop would just OC, not an option on Laptop.
(2) What is your source: External Blu-ray drive, or are you puting the .mkv files on the HDD/Thumbdrive.

Have 2 toshiba laptops (A205 w/T2330 1.6 GHz Proc & a A305 w/T6400 2.0 Ghz Proc). I replaced the DVD drive in both with a Blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW. Both play Bluray disk just fine (The T2330 is below recommended speed). However as both laoptops lack HDMI, I can not test 1080 P w/external 1080 P display. Use Arcsofts Player.

Added.
Also might want to verify your HDMI cable, although a poor cable normally results in pixalization and or temporary frezzing of picture vs just a slowdown.

Just because you can in theory doesn't mean that you truly can or that it will be a simple matter. Some manufacturers solder the chip to the board making it non-replaceable, in others the BIOS doesn't support the upgrade. And in most case, the process requires you to disassemble pretty much the entire laptop just to get at the processor. For someone without the experience or time, this is a daunting task.

G

Yes you CAN UPGRADE the CPU. If you have a service manual it's even easier. It's the GPU that's impossible to upgrade 'coz in most laptops it's soldered to the mobo.

Do a little research on the web, i.e. FSB, CPU socket, thermal properties (this is important because your heat sink can only tolerate a Watt rating) then check the next intel that matches these but has faster speed & more cache... then go on eBay to find the processor. You will also need to buy some thermal-compound to apply in-between the new CPU & heat sink.

Yeah it's a bit daunting, so what, the kid's got to learn how to do it or ask a friend to do it for him.

What a duche. Yes you CAN UPGRADE the CPU. If you have a service manual it's even easier. It's the GPU that's impossible to upgrade 'coz in most laptops it's soldered to the mobo.

Do a little research on the web, i.e. FSB, CPU socket, thermal properties (this is important because your heat sink can only tolerate a Watt rating) then check the next intel that matches these but has faster speed & more cache... then go on eBay to find the processor. You will also need to buy some thermal-compound to apply in-between the new CPU & heat sink.

Yeah it's a bit daunting, so what, the kid's got to learn how to do it or ask a friend to do it for him.

1) Hey, thanks for the insult. Don't think I did anything to warrant that. Go back and read the terms of use which you accepted when you became a member of the forum. I believe personal attacks and insults are against policy. Might want to keep that in mind.

2) Never in my post did I say that you could not do it. Go back and read. I said SOME manufacturers solder the chips to the board, not all. I can in fact upgrade the Sager in my sig, so thanks for that. In addition, I mentioned that it's not an easy process and this is true. I upgraded a Dell Inspiron this summer and you litterally had to take the entire thing apart.

G

Go re-read it yourself. Clearly you were attacking his comment on upgrades and making it seem silly. And earlier on, you attacked my comment on wanting to know about Dell's GPU. So if you want to play that game then I'll play along. But don't come whining when the heat is on. Walk away.

ragingazn628

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
The cheapest on Newegg is $200+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681911
I bought the laptop for only $450 so I don't think it's worth upgrading. Is there a program from Asus that will allow me to Overclock the CPU?

@RetiredChief

I am running it straight from my Harddrive, the 1080p movies are usually 15gig or so. Also it lag regardless if I play on the laptop's screen or via my HDTV with HDMI Cable 1.3b

@lostandwandering

Yup, I understand that some companies limit the ability to upgrade/change CPUs

---

Anyways are there any other codec or players that will help with 1080p files?

P.S 720p runs flawlessly!

Edit/Update:

I downloaded SetFSB 2.2 and set my CPU to 2.5Ghz and 1080p are running flawlessly. Is anyone familiar with overclocking? Should I be worry about my CPU blowing up or wearing itself out? When I overclocked it to 2.5Ghz the temperature stayed the same, it did not change (stay cooled at 49-50C)

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23410/title/folding-clock/cat/500

Edit2:
Holy crap just got blue screen of death! Does anyone know how to stable OC?

Go re-read it yourself. Clearly you were attacking his comment on upgrades and making it seem silly. And earlier on, you attacked my comment on wanting to know about Dell's GPU. So if you want to play that game then I'll play along. But don't come whining when the heat is on. Walk away.

Attacked? I'm sorry if it came across that way, but I in no way attacked anything you or he said. I'm talking from a practicality stand point. The average user generally does not have the time, knowledge or willingness to mess with this kind of thing. Add on to that the fact that it will void your warranty if there is one left, once again something most people will not risk.

And just so you know, I asked about the relevance of the GPU upgrade question in the other thread because the OP mentioned switchable graphics. I wasn't sure if you misinterpreted what he was talking about. Please chill out. I'm not trying to start a fight. Never was.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
First off Mimium Recommended CPU is T2400 (Core daul) @ 1.8 (NOTE mine is only a 1.6 and works), or a C2d T5600 1.8 (mine is a T6400). For more insight into what others are using that works
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1463000

If you are having a problem with the laptop display playing the File (.mkv) from the HDD I don't think it is a problem with your CPU speed. As I stated both my laptops are slower (CPU) than yours. My GPUs are both intel with less dedicated Ram. The only Plus on my laptops is (1) Installed Bluray/DVD drive and (2) have swapped the HDD out for an SSD. I would first solve the problem with displaying on the laptop, that may also correct the problem on an external TV Display.

On the laptops, I'm not using any of the software that you are, I use TotalMedia Theatre. On my two desktops, Im using Cyberlink Program (ver 7 and 9) which came free with the two Blu-ray burners. Neither Desktop would be a good comparision as the are both OC to 3.2 GHz.

Guy's he is NOT going to replace his CPU, besides I don't think that is his problem. The fact that he OCed it and it works probably means he is compensating for the real problem. Also many laptops cooling is not set up for Ocing the CPU (may be OK at low usage, but not @ higher CPU utilization NOR do they allow in bios the "Tweek" needed for stability

G

Good point.

I'm assuming he's using VLC, in which case he doesn't need any other codecs. VLC comes pre-packed with its own.

If it's the audio that's lagging, then use these shortcut keys to:

audio delay up (50ms): k
audio delay down (-50ms): j

Adjust till it syncs.

khmerog

Honorable
May 20, 2012

Wow and how old are you? A little insult gets you crying? Maybe you should go play in the park rather than playing online.