Solved! Of these three, which is best?

jeffysno

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Looking for some help in letting me know which of these three laptop deals are the best (if none are, let me know too). Actually, I list 4 laptops below. Are any brands/models better than the other? I'm looking to stay under the $600 range. If you know of any better systems/deals in this price range, I'd be happy to hear about them.

The laptop will not be used for gaming and primarily be just used for Wifi surfing the web (youtube, facebook, etc..), basic photo storage and iTunes. Having office products doesn't matter as I have those already. Would like the ability to watch movies and burn home movies onto DVD's.

1) Toshiba Notebook PC. Intel Core i3-370m Processor, 4gb system memory, 500gb hard drive, 17.3" led display intel hd graphics, dvd super multi dual layer drive, 802.11b/g+n wireless lan, windows 7 premium 64 bit. web cam and mic. $599

(There's also a toshiba with almost the same specs as above for $699 The differences are a 13.3" led screen, an intel i5-460m processor, the intel HD graphics is listed as mobile and the lan has bluetooth)

2) Sony Vaio Notebook PC. AMD Athlon 2 dual-core p340 processor, 4gb sys memory, 320gb hard drive, 15.5" lcd display, super multi dvd-rw drive, 802.11b/g/n wireless lan. Ati radeon hd4250 graphics. windows 7 premium 64 bit. webcam and mic. office 2010 starter. $599

3) Dell inspiron Notebook PC. AMD Athlon 2 p340 processor. 4gb sys memory. 500gb 7200rom hard drive. 15.6" led display. dvdrw drive. 802.11b/g +n wireless lan. ATI mobility Radeon HD4250 graphics. office 2010 starter. windows 7 premium 64 bit. webcam and mic. $579

Thanks!

Solution
id say out of the first 3, theres not even any question about which one to get: the first one for sure. The other two are more expensive and have worse processors, their advantages are a better graphics card but you wont be needing a good graphics card, so i would definitely get the first one if you wont be gaming at all.
the satellite looks like a pretty good deal, as i doubt you will be needing 320 GB, let alone 500GB. Besides that, they seem to be pretty much the same thing, so for your needs i would take the Satellite over the first Toshiba and use the extra 70$ for something else.
I also think Toshiba is the best company of the 3, I have no real experiences with Sony but Toshiba is a solid company which makes solid...

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
for what you say you're using it for i would stick with the i3. the i5 will obviously be a little faster but i doubt it will be worth the extra cash since you wont be doing anything too intense

jeffysno

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

One last request for comments. I see a BF deal on a 13.3" HP laptop with almost similar specs as the #1 Toshiba for $399. How do HP's hold up to Toshiba's?

Again, thanks.

jeffysno

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Does this laptop sound like a good deal for $430?

Satellite C650-BT2N13 Laptop

ProcessorIntel® Core™ i3-370M Processor (2.40 GHz, 3MB Cache)
Microsoft® Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bitMemory
3GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM (2048MB+1024MB)
Hard Disk Drive320GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
Optical Disk DriveDVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive
Web CameraIntegrated Webcam and MicrophoneMicrosoft®
Office SoftwareMicrosoft® Office 2010 Starter
Anti-Virus SoftwareNorton Internet Security Suite (NIS) 2011 (30-day trial)

lucarade

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
id say out of the first 3, theres not even any question about which one to get: the first one for sure. The other two are more expensive and have worse processors, their advantages are a better graphics card but you wont be needing a good graphics card, so i would definitely get the first one if you wont be gaming at all.
the satellite looks like a pretty good deal, as i doubt you will be needing 320 GB, let alone 500GB. Besides that, they seem to be pretty much the same thing, so for your needs i would take the Satellite over the first Toshiba and use the extra 70$ for something else.
I also think Toshiba is the best company of the 3, I have no real experiences with Sony but Toshiba is a solid company which makes solid products which do not experience so many problems as other companies. Dell is the exact opposite, with many of its machines experiencing problems.

Solution

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008

Yes it is fine if you are comfortable with 320GB hdd