Solved! SSD Compatibility to old laptop

xcel_jkl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a pretty old laptop, an ASUS m5200a with an intel 915GMS chipset, bought last 2005-2006. I wanted to upgrade it with a modern SSD and was wondering if it was compatible. Kindly help me out, or direct me on how to check its compatibility.

Thanks!

Solution
Check to see if the HDD is Pata or SATA.
(1) If Pata (Old IDE) I would also skip on getting an PATA SSD as there are very few, more expensive and generally lower performance.
(2) If SATA, Your choice - Either get new Laptop and later get an SSD (Do not buy laptop with SSD installed) - My choice. Or Buy the SSD and when you "Get" a new laptop, move the SSD over to the New Laptop (Would recommend clean installs). New laptop may have a 1.8 " HDD vs the normal 2.5 " drive.

There will be no better place to check than the Asus website but I'm confident in saying it won't be since SSDs are a lot more recent than 2005. In addition to that, looking at the cost of a decent sized SSD, it has to be more economical to buy an up-to-date laptop which already has one. You'll save a lot time cloning your system and all your files from the old one - all you need to do is copy over what you really need.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Check to see if the HDD is Pata or SATA.
(1) If Pata (Old IDE) I would also skip on getting an PATA SSD as there are very few, more expensive and generally lower performance.
(2) If SATA, Your choice - Either get new Laptop and later get an SSD (Do not buy laptop with SSD installed) - My choice. Or Buy the SSD and when you "Get" a new laptop, move the SSD over to the New Laptop (Would recommend clean installs). New laptop may have a 1.8 " HDD vs the normal 2.5 " drive.

Solution