Gateway NV52 voltage setting for italian current

G

Hello, I am American visiting Italy with my Gateway NV52 and a Trust Notebook Power Adapter which offers me 7 settings of voltage from 15V to 24V. I have the feeling that I am supposed to change the voltage setting inside of the Gateway, but I do not have the guidebook to assist me with locating where that voltage setting is. Can anyone out there help to do this without having to go to a store for advice? Otherwide, I will wait until Monday and pursue the answer there. Thanks ahead of time for any forthcoming help! Sue

G

Hang on.

You are using an American-market laptop power supply adapter (the Trust product) in Italy. US wall socket main voltage is 120volts AC, Europe is usually 230volts AC. Most laptop power supply adapters (hopefully the Trust one you have) adapt automatically to local mains voltage and it will say so on the label attached to the power supply (usually expressed as 100-240volts AC 50-60Hz).

If not, there may be a manual adjustment of mains voltage between 120v and 240v on the adapter. If no facility for 230v or 240v you will have to buy a new adapter.

This has nothing to do with the DC power required by the laptop from the power supply. For example, if the laptop needs 20 volts DC in the US it needs 20 volts DC in Italy. The DC adjustment is merely provided to cater for different models of laptop. The DC output is regulated so as not to be significantly affected by any minor local variations in mains power supply to the adapter.