Toshiba Satellite keyboard and touchpad don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst009

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

Strange problem, I wonder if any of you have come across this. I've got a friend with a Toshiba L305D-S5934. Occasionally the touchpad and keyboard become completely inoperable while the laptop is in use (a USB mouse will work, however). Oddly enough though, if you let the laptop hibernate, after it "thaws" the keyboard works again.

Laptop has been restored to a previous save, no dice. Device drivers have been replaced and reinstalled, registry has been cleaned... I'm stumped and looking to avoid completely reinstalling Vista.

Thoughts?

Solution
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

scale Tech

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hi Catalyst009,

I too have a problem with a Toshiba Satellite laptop. It is a slightly different model. (L305D-S5974)

I was in the process of projecting the display onto a wide screen tv. I hit the windows option "Display from Projector only". When I did that I couldn't see the mouse anymore on the screen. Looked on the widescreen tv and no mouse either. tried a hard reboot. And like you only way the pointer will work is with an external mouse. Touch pad don't work anymore.

I tried: Scan Disk option, Repairing Driver, Reinstalling Driver, Restore point also, Device hardware restore under F8 Diagnostic Tools and finally factory restore since I had no data i cared about. After it restored to factory out of box. Touch pad still didn't work. So I'm in the same boot now. Still looking for a solution. Berly started today 7/3/2012. I have Windows 7 though.

Did you ever find a solution to the mouse pad issue? Noticed you voiced your complaint in 2010.

Michael

jimk100189

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Experiencing the same thing with my A505 Satellite. Randomly, the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive, but then start working again, for no reason (no changes to system)

Mikemxxxm

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I have the same problem. Thanks for the posts, is reassuring to hear it that it's a real problem.
My Satilite S0t-A is brand new, like weeks old. I too have little data so its going right back to the manufacturer under the warranty.
Solutions are all very well and I plan to try the ones suggested but at the end of the day, a device should be fit for purpose.

Mike

Lunatasian

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
See if this works: Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:
1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.
2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds
3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.
4- Turn On computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly
5- Press F9 then press Enter
6- Press F10 then press Enter

Hope I helped!
Lun

Solution

Sam Ahmad

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

Chandra Vadhana

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
May be accidently you pressed FN+F9 keys. This will disable the whole buit-in keypad and left and right button. Again press the FN+F9 key.. this will enable the touch pad..
If this successfull just mail to me @ [email removed] with a minimum content "Thanks"

Alexander Falconi

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
These fixes don't help, all that happens is, after some time, the touchpad fails again. While Toshiba works on this, I have figured out a quick, effective workaround. This is for my new Windows 8 Toshiba.
Press CTRL ALT SHIFT to get your processes to come up. Find the Touchpad "enhancer" process. End the process. Your touchpad will work fine until next restart at which point just repeat this step.
If you are struggling to end the process without being able to use your touchpad, I found a curious thing out. If you hold a mouse click down, you can move the mouse arrow with the touchpad just fine. Its a bit... inconvenient...but all you need to do this for is to end that process and after that you can use the touchpad normally.

ruthinman

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014
VERY VERY Good Answer! This worked for me!
Thank you!

CiaoCH

Estimable
Dec 28, 2014

Thanks Luna...it worked for me too!!

PiMaC

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Oh wow!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! hahah!

Jrogers1980

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015

Jensenhealey08

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I have had this problem on a Satellite Pro C50 in European spec. It is alarming to see this thread started in 2010 and Toshiba were still shipping products in 2014 with the problem, which started after the first install of updates.

I found the solution here http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSD0702ZR0000R01.htm point 5 of the touchpad troubleshooting guide. I already had the latest driver. I simply followed point 5, let the computer restart and the Synaptics programs have disappeared from the processes list on task manager and the trackpad works (so far). This seems to be a permanent version of Alexander Falconi's fix above.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.