chandan1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
heyii.. plz help me choose btwn the

dell xps 15 (i5-450 2.53ghz / 500gb / 4gb ddr3)

and

hp dv6 3053 touchscreen (i5-450 2.4ghz / 500gb/ 3gb ddr3 ) ??

would there be much difference in the performance of the laptop as 4 the 1gb ram difference n the processors differnce ( 2.4ghz nd the 2.53 (turbo.boost upto 2.8) ghz ) ??
plz help...
thanx in advanse..!

Solution
If gaming is one of the primary concerns, then the HD 5650 in the HP laptop will give you a better experience. Otherwise, there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance between the two systems. The Dell may have a slight edge in everyday use with the slightly faster CPU speed and the extra gig of RAM.
Might want to check their specs. You have them listed as having the same model CPU (i5-450), but you have them down as having different clock speeds.

What do you plan on doing with the laptops? What's the price difference?

The difference in CPU speed (if there is actually a difference) would be more noticeable than a slight increase in RAM. Also, there may be a difference in the graphics card which you did not list.

G

I see Dell is still making bluetooth optional and charging for it. What a shoddy company.

Screen: both Dell and HP give you 1366x768 as default. Go higher if you can. There may be some software that require more than that 768 value!
HDD: Pick 7200 rpm model.
RAM: Pick minimum of 4GB. Dell charges way too much for 6 or 8GB. You'll save money by shopping around (e.g. Crucial, Kingston)
Processor: Look at the boost value when choosing. Core i5 is still dual core whilst i7 is quad-core. I'm not sure on the following but check whether you can upgrade from i5 to i7 (do they use same socket). So, 2 years from now when the price has really come down, you could go on eBay and buy a mobile i7 processor.

GPU: This is where you want to pay attention. In most cases, they are soldered to the mobo, i.e. un-upgradeable. Dell gives you 1GB GT 420M whereas HP gives you 512MB HD-5470. I'd go with the GT420M just because of the dedicated 1GB DDR3 but looks like it will play Starcraft 2 better (25 fps at high detail vs. 11 fps for the HD5470).

Concl. Get the XPS.

chandan1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

hp-
http://www.india-server.com/laptops/features/hp-pavilion-dv6-3053tx-682.html

dell specs
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-xps-15/4507-3121_7-34207711.html

the price difference is about 5000 indian rupees.... hp has a fingerprint reader as well.... i juss wanna play sum games on d laptop, watchin movies n stuff like that, using photoshop as well.... hp offering ATI MOBILITY RAEDON 5650 1GB DEDICATED memory....... dell with 1 gb dedicated nvidea .... the difference in processor seems to b a bit confusin to me to decide.... coz hp is i5.core 2.4 ghz..... n dell givin i5 core 2.53 ghz (turbo boost to 2.8 ghz).... will it effect much ? n is the touch.screen in hp not worth sum 5000 bucks ??

note...... some info in the given links r not crrct like the (n/a on hp's finger.print reader) and the processor is shown same....... but the described info. by me is totally confirmed.... il stik to the specs mentioned by me....

out of both, wich1 is the horse of long.run? plz help...

If gaming is one of the primary concerns, then the HD 5650 in the HP laptop will give you a better experience. Otherwise, there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance between the two systems. The Dell may have a slight edge in everyday use with the slightly faster CPU speed and the extra gig of RAM.

Solution

sidhraj13

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
hp is better because of two options first it has better gpu 5650 then dell 5470 ......second if u want to watch movie or music or dvd u can switch on the laptop with out switching on the windows .... it saves time .... and look good toooo......