Need Some Feedback M11x vs ENVY 14

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
219v1pt.jpg
[/img]

Alright hopefully this photo works so that you all can see the specs of each system. I know there are quite a few threads out there about m11x vs Envy 14, but I was hoping I could get some comments on either of these custom systems and maybe sum up peoples' ideas. I'm looking into buying a laptop for XMas and I want something that has some decent power behind it for mild gaming, but also great battery life as I will be going off to college next year. I've done quite a bit of research and these tend to fit my requirements well. I originally was going to buy the M11x, but I found the ENVY 14 which now looks like a better buy. I'm open to any suggestions, but then again I'm almost dead set on either system. Thanks in advance! BTW if I go the envy route I'll be getting the beats edition.

Here we go:
1. What is your budget?
Nothing more than $1250 would be about right.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I want something portable anywhere from 11"-15". Preferably one that's rather light, no more than 6lbs.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Isn't a huge factor but 1366x768 seems to be popular.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No I have my power house at home. I will be moving to college and still not sure I will be taking my computer though so something that has a kick is always appreciated.

5. How much battery life do you need?
No less than 5 hours please.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I play Crysis, Battlefield, ect. But I don't plan on doing loads of gaming, but a little here and there.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Needs to be able to run Photoshop and similar programs. I will also be going into engineering so anything that goes along with that.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
The more the better but 7200rpm is a must. Would consider any SSD if the price was right(32-128GB).

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Directly from alienware and hp. I will look into other sites after deciding on a laptop. Newegg, Amazon... the usuals.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Obviously any laptop I get will be outdated within the next few months, but I'd like it to last all of college. Alienware has the "buy back plan" which is very tempting.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need bluray, but a DVD drive would be a plus. If there isn;t one I just just buy an external one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to just about anything except for Apple. Yes I have an iPhone, but their laptops are wayyyy overpriced and I like Windows!

13. What country do you live in?
US

If you made it this far through the post, thanks again! Please post what you do/don't like and what you would suggest.

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
That coupon is a deal. I'm pretty much dead set on the ENVY now haha that price is hard to beat. I'll continue to read the thread though before I place my purchase so any more suggestions would be great. Thanks

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
You can configure the Envy 17 as follows with that coupon might be bigger than you want... 6GB RAM and the ATI 5850

WY778AV

•Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
•Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-460M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
•1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics [HDMI]
•6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•No Additional Office Software
•6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 2.25 hours of battery life +++
•17.3" diagonal HD+ HP BrightView Infinity LED Display (1600 x 900)
•SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support (Slot Load)
•HP TrueVision HD Webcam
•Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
•Backlit Keyboard
•Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 8
•HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
Estimated build date: November 11, 2010

Free standard shipping on this item

The HP Home & Home Office Store will accept returns or exchanges for this product up to 21 days after delivery

« Save for re-order
Remove »
Qty. Update »
Price: $1,299.99
Coupon: –$400.00
Price after savings: $899.99

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I saw that too, but it's a little big. I will be lugging this thing around campus for the next 5 years so it needs to be portable. Thanks for the suggestion and giving me a new site that I can use for good deals though. I think I will recommend this to a friend though since the price is so tempting

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Enjoy

I have a hard budget of $800 otherwise I would have bought one stinks now that HP charges tax in NY otherwise I wold have stretched it but with tax I am in the mid nines with it

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
That does suck. It sounds like you have been using dealzon for a while. So is the any way you could guess at when this coupon will expire? I know it says unknown but do these usually remain up for a long time or what? I would buy it now but parents are getting it as a XMas gift so no telling when it will be purchased

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Careful on this its good until Nov 7th or something like 1200 uses. HP limited to a certain amount (You will see the exact number if you enter it into the HP Envy configurer.

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Ah I see. Thanks again for the help I wasn't expecting anyone to be this useful. Usually most guys are dicks and tell me to go back and read older posts

thegodfather369

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Ya it expired about four days ago. I didn't get to buy it either so just search around for some more coupons, I'm just waiting for another one to pop up sometime soon. If you look around you'll find some small discounts, but nothing has been better than this deal.