Removing Ati display driver thats not needed

Seekie

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Hello,
I replaced my ati video card but when I tried to remove the drivers with the add/remove option it kept giving me an error and could not remove the ati display driver. I finally erased the folder manually. I'm now using a Geforce card,but every time I start up my machine it gives me an error message saying that the ati driver cannot be found so it can not be loaded.
My question is what do I delete so it will stop trying to load this driver and where do i go to delete it
thank you.
Win 98se

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Under the start menu, choose "run" and load msconfig.exe

You should be able to disable any ATI startup programs under the "startup" tab.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
If it still gives you an error, run msconfig under the startup tab, and uncheck everything that has to do with ATI.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Alright...here is my way of deleting and installing ATI drivers running Windows XP (Win200 should be the same too).

1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....do so.

3. When returning to windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

4. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders using the filename ati*.*
This search will normally give you 3 to 4 files found in your c:/windows directory and subdirectories (including the Windows/System directory). Select these files and erase them. Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

5. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

6. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

7. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

8. Close all windows and reboot.

9. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded and extracted and run the SETUP file. Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. DONE!

For all those who do not like going into the registry and rather have an easy to use program to do it for you, you can grab a nifty tool called "RegCleaner" here and it will do it for you without getting your hands dirty in the registry. Follow steps 1 through 4 as stated above, then run RegCleaner to do the rest. Once completed, follow steps 8 and 9 and you are DONE!

If there are errors in this guide or there are things to add or change let me know and I will alter the guide.

Taken from Rage3D

Hope that helps :)
Psyko

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Try <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=57a121eab8fe39ceee81553127ed74d5&threadid=33656771" target="_new">here</A>

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek: