Need help buying new laptop!

shifter52

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello,

I'm replacing my Dell m1730 due to dead GPUs and because it is just too much of a pain in the butt to travel with.

1. What is your budget?
Around $1200

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 inches or less

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1366 x 768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need a portable destop replacement if possible.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not a big concern, I will be plugged in at most times

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I want to be able to play World of Warcraft at "Good" video settings with at least 30 fps. If I can do better then that, that would be great. I also want to be able to play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I want to be able watch movies on netflix, and Itunes. I want to be able to use MS Office and listen to music.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least 500 GB at 7200 rpm

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
HP Envy 14 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157433

Lenovo Y560 http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...ding_pages/Promos/IdeaPad/weekly-sale/series3

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD rom/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have had three laptops. Lenovo T43 very good expericence this thing is a tank dropped it a couple times no problems, Apple 13" macbook very good expericence this is my wife's it runs well is durable and easy to use, Dell xps m1730 I conviced my employer to buy this for me, it is way to big and heavy, pain in the butt to carry through airport, the dual video cards were not powerfull enough to run games at high settings and 1900x1200. The power supply died at 2 years $120 replacement, one gpu died at 2.5 years the other died at 3 years $800 to replace them.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.A.

Solution
Solution

shifter52

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Wow! Thanks for the help Maziar!

Assuming I don't have physical failure, I plan on using this laptop for at least 4 years.

Considering upgrading the CPU.

Intel® Core™ i5-460M, 2.53-2.8GHz, (3MB L3)

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM, 1.60-2.80GHz, (45nm, 6MB L3 cache) - Special! ( + 60 )

Intel® Core™ i5-560M, 2.66-3.2GHz, (3MB L3 cache) ( + 60 )

I'm already $100 over budget. Is it worth the money now to upgrade to either of the $60 upgrades? I want to try and obsolete proof this thing as much as possible. I already have to ask my boss for $100 more should I make it $160 to avoid feeling like I need to replace this thing in 2 years?