Asus eeePC 1005HA

pinaklonkar

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
All,

First of all I am not sure if we have a separate discussion community for netbooks and tablet PCs so posting it here. About 11 months back, I bought the Asus eeePC 10.1 inch 1005HA-black netbook. I was overall satisfied with the netbook except for its power related issues.

Finally it broke down in the same area - first I thought its charger went bad so I bought another charger. It worked fine for a few days but then I realized that the netbook is not accepting power with/without battery. On a random day, it'll work fine and the battery will charge to 100% and let me use it. When I shut down and start again, it will go back to flickering LEDs and shutting down. Thinking then it was a battery issue, I got a good quality (per user ratings) higher capacity battery and it worked fine for a few days before the machine reverted to its old tricks.

I decided to send it back to Asus since warranty was running out. As we speak, the netbook is on its way back to me (repaired). I will get it tomorrow and will put it to some rigorous testing through the rest of the week and the weekend. I will use multiple charges, discharges with old and new battery with the charger that I have.

My question after a lot of explanation above is - has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with Asus netbooks and Asus netbooks only? Asus service center really won't tell you what was wrong. I fear that now that the warranty has run out - if this happens again, I will have to get into an argument with them that they didn't fix it properly when it was under warranty repairs. What is happening to these netbooks? I have yet to hear power related issues in other brands of netbooks, why Asus?

Any comments are welcome. I know it is not a specific question but a one out of curiosity.

Thanks

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Read this study...

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/

Netbooks are timebombs...

Highlights of the study include:
-
Looking at the first 3 years of ownership, 31% of laptop owners reported a failure to SquareTrade. Two-thirds of this failure (20.4%) came from hardware malfunctions, and one-third (10.6%) was reported as accidental damage.
-
Netbooks are projected to have a 20% higher failure rate from hardware malfunctions than more expensive laptop computers.
-
ASUS and Toshiba were the most reliable manufacturers, with fewer than 16% having a hardware malfunction over 3 years.

pinaklonkar

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
I got the Asus eeePC netbook back just now and apparently they only sent me a new power adapter. Perhaps they think the problem wasn't inside the netbook. I tried with the new power adapter and everything works fine so far.

I then pulled out my after-market adapter I had been using to test it before RMA, and problem returned! So it was a false alarm, or maybe not. We'll see.