Keyboard not working for Dell Inspirion Notebook

me-at-tomshardware

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Hi folks.

I own a Dell Inspirion Mini 1012. Today after starting my notebook, I noticed that my keyboard was not working. Looked in the device manager and found that it says the keyboard device is working all fine. In an attempt to probe a bit more, restarted my netbook and tried to go in the boot menu (before the os loads). Keys still won't work (tried pressing F2/F12) so it seems that it's a hardware issue rather than an OS issue (though I'm all in for explanations in case my assumption is wrong).

My question is: is there any way I can get this working without going to a hardware technician? Anything within my power which I can try out to attempt to revive the keyboard once again? Would opening it up and "trying" to play technician do any good? :)

Any kind of suggestion/input would be appreciated. TIA.

It might be. Look underneath and see if any of the screws have a graphic of a keyboard beside them. If they do, pop only those screws out then turn the box over and open the case and ease the keyboard gently out so you can see if the ribbon connector has become detached. If those graphics aren't visible, Google for and download the maintenance manual.

badeba

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I am having the same issue. Did you ever figure out a solution?

MaxPtheGame

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Instant solution.. connect an ext kybd.
you can run the 32 bit diags to confirm if the kybd has gone wrong. u need ext dvd drive and the dell driver disk.
or reseat the kybd, else replace kybd... u ill need to be a little technician.. not play it.