USB3, Blu Ray, both, or neither?

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
So, I'm in the market for a laptop.

I KNOW that I need a laptop that can hold 2 drives (I'm dropping an SSD in).

However, what I'm not sure about is whether I really need USB 3.0 and Blu Ray. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking that USB 3.0 will obviously be pretty common within the year, so, should I just get that, and then when I want Blu-Ray I can just get a USB 3.0 blu ray?

Right now I'm scoping out a few things on costco.com, given their warranty quality and all that.

Solution
It looks good enough, unfortunately i Don't follow laptop pricing close enough to be able to say if its a good deal.

Maz or one of the other experts may be able to help there. In terms of hardware though, the laptop looks good. and form my knowledge does seem to be a good deal.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Its really a preference thing. USB 3.0 i would go for, since even though uptake is low at the moment, it is going to be standard before long.

Blu-ray is much more personal. I don't see it replacing DVD as standard media, as Digital is surely the future of distribution. If you want to watch blu ray movies, enough so to justify the cost, then its a good choice. in terms of future-proofing? its irrelevant.

henryvalz

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
So, what do you think about http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11534224&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%204294900030&Mo=2&pos=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=

I'm thinking it's pretty complete, especially with the 7200RPM hard drive.

It is short on RAM, but that's a cheap and easy upgrade...

Anyone owned a ASUS laptop?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
It looks good enough, unfortunately i Don't follow laptop pricing close enough to be able to say if its a good deal.

Maz or one of the other experts may be able to help there. In terms of hardware though, the laptop looks good. and form my knowledge does seem to be a good deal.

Solution