HP nc8000 won't turn on

bitlord

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Hello,
the notebook was working ok, since I tried to move it to another place on the table- and the screen suddenly went black. It didn't respond to commands, so I pressed the power button for a few seconds to turn it off. Now it cannot boot. :sweat:

Symptoms:

when I press the power button:
Power led is off
Hdd led is on
Fan is on

after ~2 seconds:
wireless led gets on
charge led gets on

after ~5seconds:
the computers turns off. No POST beep.

Have anyone encountered the same problem or know how to fix this?

bitlord

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
UPDATE:
no beeps even with all RAM or bios battery taken out.

always the same scenario as written in previous post

elmy000

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Yes I have encountered this problem. It is common, it can be intermittent, but it is bad. I have checked my RAM, my Hard Disk, my CPU, I have swapped LCDs and Inverters. I have swapped batteries. I believe it is a failure of the Power Management hardware on the System Board, its definately a POST issue, I suspect the main board.

I'm typing this on my only remaining HP NC8000. I have 4 of them 3 of which are on the scrap heap. The same thing happened to me, was going along fine, and suddenly the screen went blank. I assumed it had crashed - because I was running Ubuntu at the time, and it was common for it to lock up and then the screen would go blank. When I rebooted it did exactly what yours did. I dicked around for ages (like I said stripping the machine and testing parts on this one that I'm using now. I could not find a fault and all I was left with was the man board so it must be the main board (or a chip on it).

Strange thin is several months later (about 2 weeks ago now), I fired it up for curiosity and it booted, however, I moved it off the coffee table to put on my lap and it went blank again. Could be a "one handed torsion issue" from picking it up with one hand all the time, causing a slight bending of the unit over time.

In any case, I couldn't get it to start again, so its on the shelf again. Ebay is your only hope (for a mainboard - which is fun to install...not!!, or a fully refurbished laptop easier, but not worth the asking price anymore).

I reckon your're hosed

regards
Andrew