Laptop advice needed for entertainment.

titzusix

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hello my first post here after hearing this is a helpfull bored, so here goes :ange:

1. What is your budget?

I want the laptop ready for the launch of WoW: catacylsm (7th December) so realistically about £600-700 ex VAT

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14"-15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Atleast 1366 x 768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable, I recently bought a powerfull gaming desktop

5. How much battery life do you need?

Not a major issues, but maybe 90 mins gaming or atleast 2 hour on movies?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes I want to play World of warcraft on atleast medium settings, I just bought a good desktop for other games but want to get WoW when I'm at my girlfriends :ange:
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not a huge issue, my old laptop was 250GB and never got filled.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Sony or Dell

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years min.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM would be sufficient but if I can get a blue ray within budget I'm happy

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like the look of the Vaio's i found a very nice 14" E series in a green (my fave colour) also Dell as they have been good for me before.

13. What country do you live in?

England

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have already looked at a sony Vaio that seems very good but I would prefer a more experienced opinion specs are:

Intel® CoreTM i3-370M, 2.40GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
35.5 cm LCD, 1366x768
320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
ATI MobilityRadeonHD5470 512MB

This lands in at £620 ex vat, and within my £700 budget I could add a blue ray player or upgrade the processor to
Intel® CoreTM i5-460M, 2.53GHz.

If that sounds good for the money and what I need then its perfect! As I love the look of it in the lime green :)

Thanks in advance for the responses!

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
you are in the UK? Then how about this = http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Dell-Laptops/laptop-studio-1555/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-1555&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~laptop_studio_15_n0055808~~

this includes VAT and shipping for same price with the i%-460m and 1Gb video

titzusix

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Looks good, by the time i dump extra little things on though I run it up to the same cost, im so indecisive :/

Will I notice a big difference between the 512mb and 1GB Radeon mobility cards?

Reason being I love the colour I can get the vaio in haha

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
HaHa, well it's also personal choice, Sony makes very good quality products (I own lots of Sony equipment). The whole thing is the more video ram you have the better games will play and videos will run (if going with Blue-ray then 1Gb video should be used) otherwise movie quality improves with memory. Game wise you will notice the difference, depending on video, not much difference.

titzusix

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Mmm I thought as much, guess it's a case of ringing Sony now and begging them to squeeze a 1gb card into the green 14" haha , and your right about Sony's quality sort of why I want one over a dell for my laptop :)