Will a dual monitor with a laptop work?

jabbathealex

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I am going to be going to school soon. i really want to have dual monitors, but i dont want to have a desktop. i was wondering if it is possible to have a dual monitor for a laptop. i understand that they wouldnt line up, thats ok. but, if i bought a laptop and a cheap monitor could i just plug in and go? if not what would i need to make this set up work?

Thanks

Solution
If you are talking a single monitor in addition to the laptop, then yes it will work. Pretty much all laptops come with video outputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA) so you just have to make sure you have the right cable and/or adapter for the monitor. Once you have that, just go into the graphics control panel and set it up for multiple displays.
If you are talking a single monitor in addition to the laptop, then yes it will work. Pretty much all laptops come with video outputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA) so you just have to make sure you have the right cable and/or adapter for the monitor. Once you have that, just go into the graphics control panel and set it up for multiple displays.

Solution

ferrum61

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
How about if you want to hook up two monitors to a laptop is that possible. Reason I ask is because I have several users that use laptops as their desktop and they have the laptop in a docking station with one monitor hooked up and they want to have dual monitors that allow them to extent their display across to the other monitor.

tadhg17

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
If the docking station has dual display outputs (ie. a VGA and DVI output), then yes, you can connect 2 monitors, one to each. However, the laptop screen will need to be closed, or one of the monitors will not display.