Upgrade Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 -> Core 2 Duo T9600 posible?

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I just bought an asus X8V (or something like that) laptop off ebay, 2Ghz 4GB ram and Nvidia with dedicated ram (not too fast, but fast enough to run older games and aero)

Good deal for $400

My question is:
Is this T6400 the same socket that a T9600 uses? Can I just pop mine out and pop that one in and expect it to work? I need/want those VM extensions (I run ubuntu 10.10 + Windows 7 in vitual box for netflix)

plus I wouldn't mind giving that underfed video chip some extra beef so the processor isn't the bottleneck.

All of this would be so much easier if they just had one ongoing spec chart with all of these things in it.

My best guess, is that it will work. But if anyone can confirm, please let me know.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
its the proverbial crap shoot, I don't know if they are the same socket or not, but in laptops the bios for the model will determine what can and cant be used...Manufacturers will lock down the hardware usually. Hp / Compaq use the same mb in multiple models, its just a matter of what brand they want displayed and what functionality they give it.
as far as asus branded laptops I dont know, havent dealt with them before.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Long and short of it, - Maybe.
I would pull the old one and identify as much as possible, thermal and voltage, socket, etc- see if the higher cpu was ever offered as a config from the vendor as an upgraded part..
if so , make sure the new cpu meets the specs and give it a go.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
well, asus isn't really like HP, Dell or IBM in that sense of locking you down to particular upgrades. Thank god.
From what I've seen, the T9600 is rated for the same Thermal rating as mine 30-35 watts even though it's clocked higher because its a nanometer generation or 2 later down the line.

If what i'm reading is right though, there's only 3 socket types: 478 oldschool, the Core2duo slot (whatever it's actually called in laptops) and lga something or other for Core i3 +

I think I'll bite the bullet on a used one around christamas off of ebay...
It's not like they just sell these things in stores, at least that i've seen.

They are the same socket and both have a 35 watt TDP. However, in cases like this, I'd say save your money for a new laptop, as attempting to upgrade a laptop CPU is a PITA, not to mention what everyone else has said. Remember, if the chip even works (i.e if the chipset can handle it), it's going to put out more heat than the old one, which in turn could compromise the whole works if and when it gets too hot.

For more, see the CPU link in my sig.

polyG

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

polyG

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
How did the upgrade work out? I was thinking of doing a similar upgrade, but with the core 2 T9400, since they cost about 50% of the core 2 T9600. Does anyone know if a T9400 would work in place of a T6400 on a Toshiba Satellite?