Micro sata to sata startech adapter used and my computer doesn\'t see the drive

robertpcx

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard, 8 gigabytes RAM, Windows 7 PRO 64 bit, Startech micro-sata to sata adapter 16 pin to 22 pin, this startech adapter is plugged into Beyond Micro mobile disk useing the eSATA out to eSATA in on my computer.

When I first plugged it in my computer recognized the Crucial 256 GIGABYTE 1.8 SATA III inch internal hard drive, I initialized the hard drive and then formated the drive useing the default settings for NTSF. Windows indicated that it was formatting in RAW. I thought it should say NTSF but I have formatted many hard drives before without any problems. I waited a while watching it and less than 5 minuites into the process the drive just went away, it just disapeared.

I havent seen it since, I rebooted servral times I even did a hard boot by unpluging the power cord and waiting 30 seconds. After nothing worked I removed it from the Beyond Micro moble disk enclosure and plugged it into an internal SATA III socket on the Motherboard, the computer still doesn't see it

Any Ideas?

robu k

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Hi, I am building systems with SSD primary and spin drive secondary. Here are some of the items I have discovered:

1. In Windows XP....you need to change the bios to IDE to have the SSD recognized through the bios.
2. In Windows 7....you mentioned that you put your drive in an eSATA adapter....then tried throug SATA III....is this a SATA III SSD drive? If not, you should try it in a SATA connector that is not SATA III.
3. Adding in an SSD as a second drive in Windows 7 will require that you enter into the store management (through control panel etc.). The drive should appear with the broken lines if it is being physically recognized. Use any of the available options to make the drive active and format it...you should then see it as available in your system. This is if you are making the SSD one of your system drives.
4. If you still want to use the drive as an external drive, try using one of the micro SATA (uSATA) to SATA adapter cables....these do work rather well but do not protect the PCB card like a case does. Many of hte case setups are finicky about being converted from micro SATA to SATA then being mounted as an external drive using a USB SATA connector.

Micro SATA drives were mostly made for the purpose of have a smaller (1.8 inch) form factor along with the thin aspect for thinner sleeker high end computers like Alienware, Dell (XT2 etc), Apple, some IBM/Lenovo, some HP etc.

Good luck on getting yours to work. I am only using Samsungs and have been having great luck....the other brands should be OK but have seen some tech forums where others run into issues with some of the SSDs.

thanks

ROBU K
Gaming and smack down boxes