Solved! Hp pavilion recall list

G

Hello,

I bought a HP Pavilion dv6736nr about two and a half years ago and used it heavily with no hardware issues at all. Is there anything I should be doing right now for my particular model before any failure to make sure I can benefit from one of an out of warrenty recall rather than paying for a failure that is of no fault of my own?

Thanks for any replies
Steve

Solution
You can do two things. One, ensure that you have all vital data backed up. Two, if I recall, it was a heat issue which led to many failures, so try and ensure that when using the laptop to give it plenty of ventilation to blow off heat.
You can do two things. One, ensure that you have all vital data backed up. Two, if I recall, it was a heat issue which led to many failures, so try and ensure that when using the laptop to give it plenty of ventilation to blow off heat.

Solution
G

Thank you buwish.. but in terms of recall procedures or contacts I should be following through with to take advantage of the recall before my PC fails.... that is my question.

Thanks again,
Steve

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Def back up your data regularly. The faulty nvidia gpu issue has plagued the HP DV series. There is a bios update that you can do which they claim "changes fan algorithms" basically it makes the fans run more to keep the gpu cooler.

G

Thank you folks for your advice. Everything is backed up and I believe I will give HP a call and let them know I am aware of the recall and want to address the issue before a failure and disqualification from the recall. The BIOS update metioned here.. is that a full HP bios update that adjusts the fan for this issue or is it an NVIDIA update that I need to get. I have both the Microsoft and HP updating set to auto install so maybe its already happened to my dv6736nr. If you might know .. Thanks again Steve

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
you will prob have to go to hp's support page to download the bios update. Just google hp support, then when prompted put in your model and choose your OS. Apparently the extended warranties are all but about up. There is however a class-action lawsuit being started. here is the info:http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-failure-g84-g86-settlement,11400.html

hoverfly

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Thank you Prelude2250. I went to your link you sent and found a NVIDIA Litigation check list to determine if my unit is involved. Although it's in the HP dv6000 series as a dv6736nr, it appears its P/N being a KC304UA#ABA does not fall into litigation and so I suppose doesn't have the defect. So, that great news for me and may explain why I've never had any problems in the two and half years I've regularly used this laptop. Thanks to all of you in helping me research this concern.

Steve