XP "Send Error Report" Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbb

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Lately I have been plagued with computer problems.

Because I know so little about computers and related issues and because I have so little patience with them, it doesn't take much to make me loose my coold with them.

I just want to get on with what I like to do on the computer and not have to bother with computer problems.
But unfortunately, it seems as if I am stuck with having to deal with computer problems, whether I like it or not.

This forum seems to be a good place for me to get my computer questions answered. So, I thought it would be a good idea to register for it.

I hope someone here can teach me how to fix a driver problem. I suspect that is why I am constantly getting a certain error message.

I keep getting the following error message from XP Home's Windows Explorer.

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Windows Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this report contains, click here.

Send Error Report [This is a button to click on]
Don't Send [This is another button to click on]."

Only once did I receive a reply as a result of having clicked on the "Send Error Report" button.

In the reply I was informed that some bad/poorly written program for some unspecified DRIVER in one of the unspecified software programs that are/were running on my computer was creating a problem or was clashing with XP.

In the same reply I was advised to contact the unspecified software company that programmed the driver, in order to correct the problem.

In the same reply, it was merely suggested that Symantec was known for poorly written driver programs.

Norton System Works and Easy CD Creator 5 are two Symantec products that I have on my desktop computer and on my laptop computer.

I want to avoid having to pay Symantec tech support to fix a problem that it/its programmer created before I bought its products. Symantec, not to mention Corel or Microsoft, expects its customers to pay for problems that its products create for them. To my mind this practice is (or should be) a criminal offense. I don't see anything that is fair about it. I don't see why I should have to pay for Symantec's problems or faults. If its product doesn't work properly, it is only fair that either it fix the problem at its expense or give me a full refund.

I know absolutely nothing about the drivers that Windows Explorer is refering to. I know absolutely nothing about getting those drivers reprogrammed or fixed without having to spend more money on technical assistance.

I would like to know how to troubleshoot this problem. I would like to know how to fix it or disable it. I would also like to know what will happen if I disable it.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
It's most likely Norton. I'd say the norton firewall is doing some crazy stuff to your computer. You can try to disable it, but if it doesn't work, go to start -> run -> type "msconfig" -> services tab -> disable the internet security program -> apply -> close -> restart -> check the box that says "do not show this message". That might help you out some.

If not, PM me. I work for AT&T Worldnet tech support. I'll give you a few more fixes if you need them.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528

Status
Not open for further replies.