http://www.bbspot.com/reviews/sony-vaio-vpcf121fxh-laptop-with-intel-core-i7

with an NVIDIA Geforce 310m GC

My resolution options in game are

1024x768
1280x720
1360x768
1600x900

by by 50 and 59 Hz

I'm assuming the higher the number the more pixels are in the game h/v. & the higher the Hz the quicker it refreshes.

Im currently running low setting for bfbc 2 at 1024x768 with no problems atm.

Along with would it make a difference if I boosted my processors speed from 1.73 to 2.66 or its max potential of 2.93GHz ? I'm trying to make it that I can play on medium settings with no problem. I know it'll add stress on the cpu fan and cause extra heat but i'm in a room 5 degree's lower then room temperture, i dont know if that could possible help heat issue's from existing but it sort of makes sence, because its a huge diffferent for myself and my fingers are completely frozen all the time.

So what would the best resolution screen for my laptop be & is it worth turbo boostin the cpu, in order to achieve better fps or upgrade graphic levels ?

Solution
So what would the best resolution screen for my laptop be & is it worth turbo boostin the cpu, in order to achieve better fps or upgrade graphic levels ?

Would just like to throw in that Turbo Boost is done automatically by the CPU and motherboard based on the load, # of cores being used and temperature. You don't control it in any way, shape or form.

As far as screen res goes, when you are at your desktop or surfing the web you want to leave it at the native 1600x900 resolution. Anything below that will look terrible. However, this isn't as true while in a game so you can pretty much choose whatever resolution you get the best performance out of.
CPU turbo won't give you a noticeable boost in performance, you are limited by your VGA;therefore, you can play newer games fine on medium settings on a resolutions like 1024x768.
Also unfortunately you can't upgrade your VGA,so the only thing you can do to improve your gaming performance is to get a new laptop with a more powerful VGA.

Would just like to throw in that Turbo Boost is done automatically by the CPU and motherboard based on the load, # of cores being used and temperature. You don't control it in any way, shape or form.

As far as screen res goes, when you are at your desktop or surfing the web you want to leave it at the native 1600x900 resolution. Anything below that will look terrible. However, this isn't as true while in a game so you can pretty much choose whatever resolution you get the best performance out of.

Solution
G

Is this really true, i'm pretty sure back in the day i'd seen Crysis video's when they change the core's speed to manually boosting their i7 920's from 2.66ghz or 940 at 2.92ghz to 4.1GHz

And the recommended ingame resolution for my laptop would be 1024x768 ?

G

Not quiet sure how the VGA limits my options. For some reason what i;m thinking your telling me to do is getting a vga connector or like adapte with a different screen. So im guessing your talking about the Video Graphic's Array from what im reading on a source

Is this really true, i'm pretty sure back in the day i'd seen Crysis video's when they change the core's speed to manually boosting their i7 920's from 2.66ghz or 940 at 2.92ghz to 4.1GHz

They would have been using some sort of overclocking software. Turboboost does not go anywhere near 4.1 ghz for either of those processors. Max Turbo for them are 2.93ghz and 3.33ghz respectively.

See here for more info about Turbo: http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm

And the recommended ingame resolution for my laptop would be 1024x768 ?

No, the recommend resolution is going to be whatever you feel gives the best combination of visuals and frame rate. If you increase the game resolution and find that it still plays smoothly, then run that.

Not quiet sure how the VGA limits my options. For some reason what i;m thinking your telling me to do is getting a vga connector or like adapte with a different screen. So im guessing your talking about the Video Graphic's Array from what im reading on a source
No, by VGA limit i meant that your graphic card limits your performance;therefore, your gaming performance is limited by it.
You'll be fine running most games on low settings on a resolution like 1024x768, and turbo boost will help you get more FPS but its not much.