How to transfer data from a dead laptop to desktop

woodsmykal

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
HELP !!!!!!!!
My laptop is DEAD, R.I.P.!!!!
What is the easiest / cheapest way of transfering data / files onto my desktop? :cry:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yank the HDD from the laptop. If SATA, you can connect directly to a SATA port on your desktop to transfer files (assumes HDD is functional). If PATA/IDE, you need an adapter or enclosure to connect to your motherboard or USB. Not too hard.

woodsmykal

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

This is all new to me but sick of paying loads of cash to so called experts, the laptop only went in for a virus removal, when it came back the mouse pad didn't work so had to plug a mouse in to the USB port and when I tried to log on the next day it was as dead as a dodo.
Now they want to charge me £50+ to transfer data to my desktop, can it be transferred via software and a USB cable or is that just more expense, I wouldn't know what to look for inside the laptop, I suppose it's already dead so I can't do much more damage, just like Quincey !!!!!!!!! :lol:

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What make and model of laptop do you have? HDD removal is usually very simple. I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

woodsmykal

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Thanks.
Its a HP laptop, I've managed to locate and remove the HDD (it was only held in place by 2 little screws then it just slid out.
From what I can see its not a usb type connection, there are 4 visible pins then 2 other "connections" that look as though something should slide over them.
The name on the HDD is SEAGATE - momentus 7200.2, does all this make any sense to you.
What leads do I need?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like you have a SATA HDD (an IDE/PATA would have a bunch of pins similar to an old floppy drive. If indeed SATA, you can connect directly to either your motherboard's internal or external (some have, some don't) SATA connections, along with power from one of the available connectors from your power supply. Easy to hook us as the cables can only be mounted one way.

Your desktop should recognize the drive and then you'll be able use your file manager/explorer to locate and copy your files.

You could also put the HDD into an external enclosure and then attach via USB cable. An example is below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392016

Good luck!