Pills That Rat You Out for Not Taking Your Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
So we've come to the point as a society where people must take a pill to notify other people - other pills were not taken.

How about we let nature take its course and invest time & resources into something broader.

Katriel

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Okay, admittedly these are pretty cool. I'm excited it might save some of those '218,000' deaths. (How many of those deaths are intentional to OD though?) But I have a few reservations. 1) Microchips get expensive. Add that cost to the initial cost of the pills...and Americans start paying even more for healthcare. 2)We already have so much external monitoring in out society. We need to build the internal more.

Of course, those aside, this is a pretty interesting article! It's kind of cool to see how technology develops. Used sparingly on the right patients, this just might help a good number of patients.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]So we've come to the point as a society where people must take a pill to notify other people - other pills were not taken.How about we let nature take its course and invest time & resources into something broader.[/citation]

Lots of pills these days are digestible capsules filled with powdered meds. Though they're calling these "tattletale pills" they describe them as capsules so I'm assuming the idea is that they put regular meds/pills into the special antenna capsules.

[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Yea, and that guy looks THRILLED to have to take that damn thing.[/citation]

He's a researcher at the University of Florida. Think he was part of the team that developed it.

Katriel

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
I agree Rab1d-BDGR on the patients who may attempt suicide, but who would OD on medication they knew has tiny capsules in it? And mlopinto2k1, I agree with you too. How would doctors know you didn't just dissolve the pill...or give it to someone else? It would have to be given to the forgetful. It would not work for those trying to sidestep their meds.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Just admit me... I am not voluntarily going to let somebody track me like this. I am an adult and will be treated as such. The only time I can see this being a valid method is if it is court ordered for a person that has stability issues and must take medication to regulate or they are a danger to society. Otherwise if we don't take our meds then it is on us.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]blazeorangeman[/nom]Better to swallow it then to get it in reverse, if you know what I mean.[/citation]
It very well could be but the technology is out there to do just as this article suggests.

G

why do you guys have such a large building to work out of. i work out of my step mom's basement and i own three tribes 2 512-bit encrypted servers running simultaneously. FAIL, TOM. FAIL!

G

You are a danger to society for not taking your soylent green soma anti-belligerence medication. You are hereby prohibited from using public facilities, such as roads, internet access, and electricity. Your license plate is tracked at every stoplight and you will be arrested for crimes against society if you are found using these facilities while under the influence of free will. Individuals who harm society must be re-educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.