Need a new portable notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Hi guys, I recently bought a gaming laptop from recommendations here which turned out to be a great purchase. Now I'm looking for something else, more portable.

1. What is your budget?

Max would be $1000, would love to stay around $600 but 1k is my roof

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'd really like 11-12" no smaller than that.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

xxx by 720 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

portable

5. How much battery life do you need?

More would be better, looking to get the most possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Games are not important. Would be a bonus but not important. Peggle is fine. :sarcastic:

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Internet, photo review (I do amateur photography), watching movies (720 and 1080p) are the only things, so I'd like a nice screen for these purposes.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

The more the better, but any amount is fine

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Amazon would be good as I have prime (free shipping+no tax) I would like to avoid newegg as I am in NJ.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

1-2 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD reading is fine enough, anything above is fine as well, but not necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preference

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The lighter the better. The main goal is to get as much screen as possible but at a low weight. I like my friend's 11"ish laptop, and would love something around that size (He has a Thinkpad) or a little bigger. I want to have a nice screen for photos and movies.

Order of importance:
1) Screen quality
2) Weight
3) Physical screen size

I don't know much about newer LCD technologies that I should be looking for in regards to using photos. If I can run Adobe Lightroom that would be a huge bonus.

Thanks!

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

You should check out the Sony Vaio Y. It has a 13.3" screen and weighs 3.9 lbs. You can get an i5 processor and 500 GB of hard drive space. It also has a nice screen.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

Does Sony still force all their software down your throat? I've had bad experince with Sony laptops in the past actually, so many driver issues and losing Fn key abilities. :pt1cable:

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I haven't heard of those Sony issues you described but I can offer some alternatives. Would you be interested in 14" laptops?

Cheers,
Isabella

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Another one to check out is the Toshiba Portege R700. It has a 13.3" screen and an 2.26 GHz Intel Core i3-350M processor. It weighs 3.2 lbs. The Asus UL80Vt-A1 is a slightly less expensive option, with a 14" screen and weighing 4.4 lbs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

I think it looks nice, but how would you stack it up against the newer Timeline X models?

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

What would be your overall opinion of that laptop compared to the previous one? Any other notable choices in that price range? Thanks again for all the help per usual.

Also I don't think that laptop would be able to play much gaming wise, I'd like something I could be able to play some old old games with possibility.

I think my perfect laptop would be the hardware, size, weight of the Timeline X seen here, but with a somewhat competent video card (just a step above nothing to play some old stuff)

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

I really dislike the M11x glossy screen (a friend of mine had gotten that laptop), do they make one without it?

kooper

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
How big would I have to go to get what I want? I can work with what I have to, to at least see my options.

What I'm thinking is if I'm going to spend within my price range I might be better off getting the best I can for that range instead of gimping myself with no video card at the same price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.