Factory State Reset

menialwitnesl1l

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
So recently I bought an Asus g73jh-rbbx05. I bought a couple of games, and downloaded some hardware stuff. I want to keep it as fast as possible. When nov comes round I want to get black ops, and have run it's best. Would it be a good idea to reset it back to it's factory state (pretty much to get rid of the games and hardware that I would never use) or should I manually remove them, and then perform a disc cleanup? What would be the most effective way of maximizing my pc's speed, graphics, and memory that's safe and reliable?

G

Is there an Operating System restore partition on the hard drive or did they supply a restore CD ?

Frankly, unless you've noticed a slowdown since adding stuff, I'd leave it until it's really noticeable or starts playing up. Meanwhile clean up using Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs (or programs' own uninstall).

Once you've done that set a Restore Point (see Windows Help) and next time you install something and change you mind, you can turn back the clock without the hassle of restoring the whole operating system and losing anything you've created.

G

Just to be clear: there's a difference between Setting a Restore Point to restore from -- or using the Restore Partition on the hard drive (or CD).

Basically setting a Restore Point is most useful where you are about to add new hardware or software and then have a problem or change your mind. Restoring from the Point, puts you back to where you were before installing the software or hardware.

Running a Restore Partition is almost like reinstalling the Operating System but will include any software or drivers installed at the factory. You will lose any software you have installed and any work you have done.