Solved! Help needed about to purchase

x675687h

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
hello,

I was wondering if you could help me. I am about to purchase a DELL Studio 1747 laptop with the following specs;
Core i5
HD 5650 1GB graphics
4GB DDR 3 RAM
17.3 inch screen
etc
All for £799. Its not for extensive gaming, I have a desktop for that. But I will use it for basic gaming and general use.
Would you reccomend this laptop or are there better alternatives. BTW I live in the UK and the choice is limited.
Thanks in advance

x675687h

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Well, I've changed my mind at the last minute. I am now going for a Toshiba satellite Pro L670-14p, 17.3 inch. Core i5 2.26/2.53GHz, 3GB DDR3 SDRAM and ATi Mobility 5650 1GB all for £120 less than the dell. I will use it for light gaming that is why I need a 17 inch screen.

x675687h

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

You say its great but how do you know this? What evidence can you provide and what experience do you have in laptops?

thanks again

I'd suggest that you consider skipping the "middleman". Both vendors you listed don't actually make laptops. They buy them from ODM's.

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu.

Suggest you widen your search and consider laptops from MSI, Asus and Clevo. The latter you never heard of I'm guessing but there's a clevo FAQ here.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

x675687h

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

You forgot to mention the reliability of toshiba branded laptops. I mean do they break down, are they easy to repair/upgrade, are the parts readily available if they do malfunction and what is their average lifespan?