Laptop screen thrust backwards - now it shows only black

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hello,

I recently accidentally forcefully overextended my laptop screen; the screen was thrust to its maximum rotation (a few degrees past being parallel with the keyboard). Immediately, the screen went to "black" -- the screen is still on, as there's light emitting from it; it's similar to how the screen would look with a "blank" screensaver screen saver present.

The actual screen does not appear damaged in any way. Is it wiring perhaps? With an external monitor, the laptop works fine.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this! And possible solutions and costs to fix it?

Thanks for your time.

T

Solution
You seem to be fingering the inverter which is not part of the screen and will not cost $135 to replace. It's the long skinny piece of electronics and plastic that sits below the screen (when it's in its proper place) and could be a cause of the original problem. It would cost fairly little to try replacing it before considering buying a screen. The only flaw in my argument is how the heck the repair shop folks think it's an integral part of the screen - have they been trading long?

EDIT: You would first, of course, check that the cables at both ends of hte inverter are pushed firmly home.[/#000ff]

Google for and download the full manual for your model - not just the user instructions - and take the screen out. You'll need a needle to spear and remove the little rubber plugs that conceal the fixing screws and some jewellers' screwdrivers to remove those. Don't grip the screen to tightly or even at all along the top edge and then look very carefully at the connection ribbon cable behind the screen to see if it's been partially pulled out. You also need to check the connections at each end of the invertor down below the screen and the backlight cables that run around to the top.

You probably haven't broken anything - with luck, just dislodged a wire or six. :D
[/#000ff]

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Haha, thanks Saga -- I'm hoping it's only a matter of dislodged wiring!

After I posted my original post, I actually went ahead and opened the screen itself. Further research beforehand caused me to suspect just what you said -- some dislodged wiring from the inverter. I really didn't feel I had damaged anything...

The bad news is, after I opened the screen, I had no clue what I was looking at essentially. Nothing looked like the dozens of inverters I had compared it to via images and video. There indeed was a slender piece beneath the screen -- connected to it was wiring with a weird, flappy bronze end that was actually taped to the piece. Regardless, I made sure that nothing was dislodged.

Maybe I'll re-open it tomorrow and take a few photos.

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I would be interested to see the photos, you may have pulled out the connector inside the computer case and not the screen. You will probably have to dismantle the computer as well.

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hey guys,

Here's an update.

So I didn't have time to mess with the laptop, and I didn't wanna risk anything, so I brought it into a monitor repair shop today.

I was told that the backlight was fine, but a chip or piece or something -- responsible for displaying graphics on the screen -- was damaged/defective--thus nothing showing up even with perfectly good backlighting. He told me that this piece is behind the shiny layer (which is behind the screen). The aggressive drop of the open laptop mostly likely damaged it, he told me. I was told that I would need to replace my screen. Because it's LED, it would be an expensive replace -- total cost of labor and parts is $220 (haggled down from $300, however he gets to keep my old screen).

I think I'll take his word for it, because he said that if there's uncertainty, feel free to check with other computer stores. He seemed pretty confident in his analysis though.

It's a new one on me but he may well have a deeper understanding of these things than I. It would have to be a very recent and quite expensive laptop to stand up to the economics of a repair bill that size. You mentioned the inverter - it's a long thin component that sits below the screen with connectors at both ends - could that be the part he wants to replace? I can't see how opening the lid with no impact damage could cause anything worse than stretching the extent of the wiring but I suppose it's whatever gets the job done.[/#000ff]

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Great, I knew this would happen!... You have me second guessing, lol

The laptop is still at the shop (apparently, the screen they ordered wasn't working, so that had to order another one. It'll be another week...)

I made a quick graphic to show you what I *think* he explained to me (I reiterate, *think*):

laptopproblem.png

He told me the problem wasn't in the backlight/inverter/whatever thin electronic strip is right below the screen... He told me the problem was a non-working graphic chip (or some sort of hardware related to graphics) directly behind the soft, glossy, white surface, as seen in the diagram.

Regarding my laptop model: It's a new model, released mid-2009 I think, but it's definitely not high-end or anything -- it was a budget laptop for like $700-800. It might be important to mention that the screen is widescreen?

Here's a link to the laptop:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/359763-asus-u80-hands.html

Should I investigate further?

Thanks for your help!!

T

I know nothing about the unne workings or components of a screen but the ribbon cable has to connect to something and perhaps that's what he means. Perhaps someone else will post in on this one as it woul dbe intersting to see a defiitive answer.

All I know is, if I replace a screen and the replacement doesn 't work, I'd question my own diagnosis before I suspect a brand new screen of being a dud.
[/#000ff]

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
OK, just got my laptop back... unrepaired.

When I went to pick it up, I made sure to ask him exactly what the problem was.

Basically, I was off the mark with the diagram I made above. So ignore that!

Anyway, after I took it home, I decided to open it up and take some photos:

comp1iw.jpg

Laptop frame unscrewed

comp2f.jpg

Screen lifted

comp3d.jpg

The damage "piece" is in the narrow strip at the bottom of the screen, as indicated. I untaped it, as it was secured and hidden.

comp4i.jpg

A closer look.

He told me that that piece was damaged, and because that piece is essentially a part of the screen production, I would need a new screen.

They ordered a particular screen, part no. B140XW02, but unfortunately the one they received was the wrong version (version 1). I needed version 0, which they couldn't get ahold of from their usual source. They told me I could find the screen if I looked, but they didn't want to hold onto my laptop longer than they needed to (it had already been two weeks).

I found the screen online for about $135, including shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/AU-OPTRONICS-B140XW02-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B003TQ2F5A/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1285730778&sr=8-3-fkmr0

But since my laptop was only $700, I'm debating just getting a new one to handle my increased software usage (I'm a web development student).

Not sure if this post clears anything up, but I'm just posting this info if you're wondering about the situation. Still, I would be curious to hear your thoughts!

Thanks again for your help in this thread!

You seem to be fingering the inverter which is not part of the screen and will not cost $135 to replace. It's the long skinny piece of electronics and plastic that sits below the screen (when it's in its proper place) and could be a cause of the original problem. It would cost fairly little to try replacing it before considering buying a screen. The only flaw in my argument is how the heck the repair shop folks think it's an integral part of the screen - have they been trading long?

EDIT: You would first, of course, check that the cables at both ends of hte inverter are pushed firmly home.[/#000ff]

Solution

phayzed

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

lol! I wonder if maybe the misinformation is due to miscommunication; English was not his first language. I would gather they have a grasp on their work; the store seems fairly reputable with a steady flow of customers.

However, I'm definitely prompted to bring my laptop to a much more popular and reputable service here in my city. Perhaps they'll even have the necessary parts handy. I also called Asus, and they told me that Best Buy (where I bought the laptop) could actually take a look at it. So, I definitely have some more options and exploration to do.

Thanks, Saga!