My Integrated Graphics Runs Faster Than Switchable ATI Graphics

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Hi guys, I have a Compaq Presario CQ36-110TX, with an i5-430M, 4GB RAM, and ATI Mobility Radeon 4550.

Thing is, when I tried playing games - Test Drive Unlimited, Call of Duty 4, and Counter Strike Source, the integrated HD5700 of the i5 actually has higher frame rates as reported by FRAPS. This comes to me as odd, particularly because the 4550 has dedicated memory and is supposedly clocked higher than the IGP. After all, it's dedicated.

So what gives? Is the HD5700 really faster than a 4550?

Solution
Yes jut703 is correct, the new intel is called Intel GMA HD or alternatively, HD5700.

OP, I would check your powerplay settings to make sure the ati gpu is running at max power, it should have a reduced power setting which may be enabled even if the power is plugged in. That would cause lower than expected performance.

You can use something like gpu-z to check that the clock speed is ramping up correctly.

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
As per the notebookcheck.com rankings, the integrated graphics from Intel, no matter what their clock rate, is at best as good as an ATI HD3200.

You sure it's faster than a 4550?

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
No, you're getting me wrong. We all know that Intel has moved the graphics of the mobile i5 into the same package, right? That integrated graphics is called the HD5700 or MHD5700. It's the successor to the old MHD4500 that powered the old Pentium Dual-Cores and Core 2 Duos.

It's that on-package IGP that was giving higher framerates than my dedicated 4550.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Yes jut703 is correct, the new intel is called Intel GMA HD or alternatively, HD5700.

OP, I would check your powerplay settings to make sure the ati gpu is running at max power, it should have a reduced power setting which may be enabled even if the power is plugged in. That would cause lower than expected performance.

You can use something like gpu-z to check that the clock speed is ramping up correctly.

Solution

Well we have 5700 series for AMD,so i thought you meant them.
Well they are still low-end cards and their performance should be pretty much like your current carc,

jut703

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I reinstalled my Switchable Graphics Driver (as I can't use the up-to-date Catalyst Driver since it ruins switchable graphics), and voila, the card now jacks up 30 fps at 1280 x 720 in CoD. Good enough for me.

I have a feeling it's the PowerPlay that was the culprit. I wasn't able to check it before the reinstall, but I did trying playing a while ago without the power connected and it gave the same low framerates as before. I agree with strangestranger's theory that it was probably at max battery even if I was on AC power already. Whatever the case, I changed the PowerPlay settings to Max Performance at all times, because I could switch to the Intel GMA if I need to save battery anyway.

Thanks for all the input guys. :)