Solved! Looking to purchase a gaming laptop~

sh1mmy

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello! I'm currently looking for a laptop for my friends to bring to me from the States (so for purchasing purposes, this laptop is going to be shipped to an address in California). I am currently an English teacher in South Korea, been here for about a year. The laptop I brought with me entirely broke down about 1 month in...so I've resorted to going to a PC cafe every time I need to use a computer or play games.

A lot of my friends back home have been playing Heroes of Newerth and Starcraft 2, the latter being highly graphic intensive. In Korea, the SC2 is only in Korean (go figure). So with my friends visiting soon, I'm looking to purchase a laptop with its intended use being work (word documents) and gaming (!) with a BIT of portibility. I've built PC's so I know the basics, but I'm out of date with modern upgrades. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way: I was browsing the Korean market for some laptops (which are beautiful and powerful *Samsung*), but my lord are they expensive! I'd rather get the most bang for my buck, so here I am!

1. My budget is from $1000-$2000. Preferably between $1200-$1700

2. I almost ordered the M11x from Alienware..til I realized it was an 11' inch screen. For work that would be fine...but come on! How am I going to play SC2 on that? I'd be more comfortable with 13-18 inches.

3. Preferred screen resolution: 1440x900 and above

4. Portibility is nice, but I plan to keep this laptop tied to my desk. (I bring all my docs to work via USB drive)

5. Battery life is a non-issue. Where in Korea DON'T they have outlets?

6. I'm looking to play Starcraft 2, Heroes of Newerth, Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and other modern games on Medium to High settings (I could live without anti-aliasing, I just want the game to be smooth and stable).

7. Other than gaming and creating powerpoints, I plan to watch a lot of movies...no photo editing or any of that multimedia stuff for me ^^.

8. I'm looking for at least 250 gigs (500 gigs would suffice) of space. For me the 7200+ RPM is more important.

9. The only site I've ever purchased computer parts from is www.newegg.com. However, I am always open to any credible site!

10. I'm going to keep this laptop for at least 2 years.

11. Optical drive wise..I'd probably only need a CD/DVD drive.

12. I have NO brand preference or loyalty. My mindset always was: If nVidia has the better video card (AT THE TIME), then I'll get it over the ati one.... I do miss my Radeon though.

13. I currently reside in South Korea, but my visiting friends (who will be bringing this new laptop) are in California, USA.

14. I am a very practical person. Looks matter very little, but functionality is of upmost importance to me.

Additionally: The tech support and laptop repair in Korea is literally TOP-NOTCH. I can get my laptop repaired and optimized for ~$10.. and there's 2 repair shops just down the street from where I live. I've only had / built desktop PC's in my life, so my laptop maintence will be sub-par at best.

In advance, thanks for the help guys.

PS. Not all Koreans are amazing at Starcraft, but the ones that are sound like they're playing drums on their keyboards. Certainly interesting to watch ^^

Solution
The hardware itself isn't really any different, but the warranty is. That's why I suggested the Asus models above. Good hardware at a decent price, with a 2 year global warranty including 1 accidental damage incident.

Regardless, Dell is another manufacturer that provides decent warranties, and decent warranty service. Have a look at their Alienware systems for some ideas. Those are usually a bit more customizable as well, so if the Asus models above don't exactly fit your needs, maybe you can configure yourself an Alienware system instead.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The hardware itself isn't really any different, but the warranty is. That's why I suggested the Asus models above. Good hardware at a decent price, with a 2 year global warranty including 1 accidental damage incident.

Regardless, Dell is another manufacturer that provides decent warranties, and decent warranty service. Have a look at their Alienware systems for some ideas. Those are usually a bit more customizable as well, so if the Asus models above don't exactly fit your needs, maybe you can configure yourself an Alienware system instead.

Solution

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Since you liked the 11" Alienware, you should look into the Alienware M15x. It has an 15.6" screen, 2.8 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor, and NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 240M graphics.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

TRENDING THREADS