Hard drive swap ability between Dell cpx laptops

dsgonz

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hi,
I've got a Dell cpx ppx laptop, P3 500mhz. I've come to the conclusion that my motherboard is probably the problem because I've tried several suggestions I've seen posted in these forums with no luck. So...I can get another machine that is the cpx ppx with P3 500mhz but it has no hard drive, RAM or cd drive. Can I successfully put my hard drive and other components in and expect it to run fine? Since they are the same machine basically, do I still need to worry about drivers? I don't know if it matters at all, but the reference numbers on the backs with all the other info are fairly close. Mine is a 99080 and the other is a 99125.

I'm hoping to get the laptop running over my downed desktop because at least I can take the laptop into town and use wifi, my dial up at home is really crappy.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thank you! S

dsgonz

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Hmmm...I just ran service tag numbers and noticed that a lot of the components like hard drive, RAM, etc have the same part number, but the processor doesn't. I didn't see anything that said motherboard so I was assuming the processor was what I needed to look at. Well...here's hoping I can get it working somehow. I'm thinking (and hoping) that if it doesn't work immediately, that I may just need some drivers or something easy enough?