Solved! I'm at wit's end guys!!!

u83r_pl4c1d

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Hello all,

So for the past month, I have been PURCHASING laptops and every single one of them has been BUNK!!!

I originally bought a Toshiba Satellite (A-S665-6070) from best buy. It was a descent machine, but the build quality felt cheap, my mouse (clicker?) felt like it would fall off within a few months. So I exchanged it and tried another one of the same model.. It had the same cheap feel to it, but with the opposing clicker..

So then I exchanged that for an ASUS G73JH-RBBX05. A little bit more expensive, but from what I've heard ASUS is a good name, and I like the fact they have a 1 year accidental warranty.

The ASUS worked AMAZINGLY!!! ... until I started copying my music from my hard drive and started listening to them.. whenever a song with lower tones played, one of the speakers would just hum.. I assumed I simply got unlucky and went for round 2 with this model..

Round 2 didn't even boot up when the power button was pushed.. but I really like this machine, so ASUS got a saving grace round 3...

So I'm typing this on round 3 for ASUS, having it for less than 4 hours.. and whenever a sound should be played, (such as the "dink" noise when a message from windows comes up) it makes an excruciating static noise. It doesn't matter if I have the sound muted on the laptop or not..

SOOO

I'm not looking for advice on how to cure this craziness. From what I've read NOW, it's some type of a hardware issue that is happening to certain batches..

but!!!

Could somebody please point me in the right direction for a good gaming laptop since I seem to be failing miserably?

1_What is your budget?

I'm already $1300 USD in. If it's worth it, lets say around $1700-$2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I like 16" screens, but I can like with a 17".. 15.6" is even tolerable, but not much bigger, not much smaller..

3_What screen resolution do you want?

I'd settle on 1600 X 900, but If I'm gonna drop more $$, we might as well get blue ray quality if possible.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?

It's pretty much desktop replacement. Almost always plugged in, just much easier to carry around. An hour would be acceptable.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

For the price range I'd like to play games on high.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I play around with photoshop, fruityloops, acidpro, movies, a little 3d game level designing, I also go into phases where I'll dable in C++ or Java, so compile time can be a factor. I also do video conferencing for work, but that's not too resource intensive.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

I'd say 500 GB, but in my laptop exchanging journey, I've picked up a TB external to keep my files on.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Retail Store preferably.. I like immediate gratification, but I'm open to options at this point.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 years minimum.. Before deciding to get a laptop I had my desktop with a 600 mhz processor... I think I'll be okay for a while!

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd would be fine. bluray would be a nice touch

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I just want it to work and work well at this point... I'd say not a dell, but look at the experience I've had with others!

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thank you for reading this massive post I have created. I'm almost at the point of just giving up on having the "dream computer" Hopefully you guys have some insight!!

atk0309

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hi,
I was faced with the same problems with you ( except for the multiple issues with the multiple lap tops).
In the end of the day i bought the following:
MSI Gx640. You can read all about it in the following article i am not going to repeat it since it is quite well written and will contain the answers to most of your questions:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3766/msi-gx640-speedy-dx11-laptop

As for my personal experience: It is simply brilliant. The only thing i dislike is that it goes quite hot underneath which sometimes it might crash if you are playing a hardcore game such Crysis on High or Gamer settings and you are on your bed so the air vents are almost covered and the bottom vents are blocked altogether.
As lon as you keep it on a desk or leave 2-3 inches from the bed ( i place it on my legs with the CPU/GPU air exhaust away from tehm since it will burn me otherwise) it will be absolutely perfect.
All games i have tried run flawlessly on almost the most pumped up settings.

Regards,
atk