Maya external graphics card laptop

G

Hello, i'm looking for an external graphics card that i can use w/a Dell Latitude D830, that will allow me to install & run MAYA 2011 and view 3D animation in Photoshop...

Solution
You might be better off getting a different laptop more suited to the job. External graphics cards are very limited in both choice, and available bandwidth once you do get one. Every one that I have seen connects via the Expresscard slot, which provides the equivalent of a PCI Express x1 slot on a desktop.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
You might be better off getting a different laptop more suited to the job. External graphics cards are very limited in both choice, and available bandwidth once you do get one. Every one that I have seen connects via the Expresscard slot, which provides the equivalent of a PCI Express x1 slot on a desktop.

Solution
G

Thanks, but i can't afford to get a new system, just had this one rebuilt; didnt know about the card until i tried to play a 3D animation i set up on a MAC in class. i only need the card for 3D software (Maya & Photoshop)... won't be using it all the time. i work in 2D most of the time (photography/graphic arts). just need to get thru this class.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Hmm... I can't seem to find any external laptop cards anymore. There were a few put out at one point, but I guess they didn't sell very well. Found the odd reference to the Asus XG Station and the AMD XGP, but I don't think you can buy them anymore.

Unless someone else can find a current solution still being sold, you're probably out of luck.

G

REALLY hoping to find an external video card... just need to know what to look for. i'm googling now... have been since midnite :-(

G

sincerely appreciate your help. i have a toshiba satellite laptop i plan to trade soon; perhaps i can obtain a laptop w/the right graphics card for Maya 2011; though, i really don't plan to use Maya forever; student license, 13 months, IF i can install it; no point w/o the right graphics card. (sigh) i really hate being tied to the college, working in the Mac lab, but i may be stuck this semester. thanks again.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I have no idea if it's necessary for Maya, since I have never used the program, and don't know what it is or what it does.

Should work though, provided you can find a more powerful card that does not require a 6 or 8 pin PCI-E connector, and can actually find where to buy the GUS unit itself.

G

Neither had i -ever heard of or used Maya software- will have to in this class; deals w/3D technology; being introduced thru Adobe photoshop 3d animation. Anyhoo, i've decided to take your suggestion - indirectly. i need motherboards for a couple of my desktop PCs. Going to replace the MS-6340 w/an Intel micro ATX motherboard; i am reviewing them on amazon.com now. i need the graphics card to work w/3D software. i want the duo core but one of the m-atx motherboards has the atom processor integrated. or, i'm considering buying the board w/the duo core separate; i'd have to install the processor-never had to do that.

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for your help. This Forum now shows me as Anonymous; i was kicked out after 48 hrs, never received the confirmation email. i registered again today, so far, all is well - after a bumpy start. hopefully, they transferred the points i'd accumulated from this forum; wanted to make sure you got points for being the only one to help me. Never did find that GUS. Decided to rebuild one of my desktops - the one with the fried HT-2000 was given to me by a client - the motherboard is fried at the power supply - i only hope the connected hardware is still good (HDD, DVD, FLOPPY, MEDIA READER, USB PORTS in front, CAT5 CONNECTION...) - i want to replace it with either an Intel board or one that has cpu combo - i need a dual-core pentium or atom; Amazon.com has some motherboard combos, just need to make sure the connectors fit in the chassis area.

i've registered again - as the same person - and put a question in Motherboards & memory - i like this board... advertises the people i use. have an asus dvd writer i got from ebay - it's on the other motherboard i will replace later... will ask about that later. thanks again for all your help. if you know of a good micro atx with cpu - pref intel dual-core, w/good graphics card, let me know! thanks.