Asus A52 series laptop for dad. Buy or not?

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
1_What is your budget?

Less than $700.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Doesn't matter.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Doesn't matter.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable would be nice for dad.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not too much. Dad mainly uses laptop at home or library.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No games.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Mainly uses it for internet, burning homemade movies, word processing, multitasking.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320 GB should be plenty.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

ASUS A52F-X3 from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220790

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as possible till my dad complains everyday that the laptop is too slow as he does right now with the Dell laptop he bought three years ago.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD burner.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

ASUS. Would like to know about other people's experience with their customer service/warranty.

13_What country do you live in?

USA.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So yea. Is the laptop overpowered or is it enough for dad. That is my main question. Also, what do people think of Asus laptops and their customer service/warranty.

Thank you all in advance for the advice.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
ASUS makes great quality laptops no doubt about that. HOWEVER, do you absolutely need this laptop right now? If you can hold off until next year, you will be able to get a MUCH better laptop with the arrival of Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs.

the laptop is too slow as he does right now with the Dell laptop he bought three years ago.
When was the last time this laptop was given a fresh install of Windows? Defragged,etc?

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

I am the family tech support. I defrag once a month and when he complains a LOT about how slow the comp is (even though he barely uses 30% of the harddrive space), I reformat it. I've reformatted his computer three times this past year. @_@