Latitude D830 black screen

G

Hi,
I have a major problem with my Dell Latitude D830 laptop. The screen worked fine last night, but when I started this morning, I got nothing but the same black screen I get when it's turned off. I can boot, and an external monitor works fine. Windows only seems to recognize the external monitor in the display settings. I try to can activate the 'default monitor', but pressing ok doesn't change anything (it's still not active).

Anybody got a clue what the problem might be, and how I can see which component failed? I don't have much experience opening the laptop up and checking connections.

Thanks!

It sounds like the inverter went out. The inverter amplifies the signal from the video card to the LCD. If it is under warranty, Dell should replace it for free. If not, you can get one at the site below and DIY or bring it to someone who has experience with the matter. If you DIY, take a look at the sticky thread at the top of the forum here on how to take a laptop apart and such.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/

amdiesen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hi,
I have a major problem with my Dell Latitude D830 laptop. The screen worked fine last night, but when I started this morning, I got nothing but the same black screen I get when it's turned off. I can boot, and an external monitor works fine. Windows only seems to recognize the external monitor in the display settings. I try to can activate the 'default monitor', but pressing ok doesn't change anything (it's still not active).

Anybody got a clue what the problem might be, and how I can see which component failed? I don't have much experience opening the laptop up and checking connections.

Thanks!

My D830 had the same problem this spring. I pressed dell that it was a video card issue (nvs 140). The inverter description sounds reasonable. I could operate the computer via the multi-monitor features, but not the screen. Since the NVS video card is built into the motherboard, they replaced the motherboard +. The tech did the job in my office in less than an hour, he must have removed over 40 screws, (he replaced the screen as well) per dell's request. The task appeared to be outside the average parameters of a hobbiest repair/replacement task. Unless your lappy is under warrenty, you may find yourself with a break-even cost of replacement versus value of the laptop issue.