HP Envy 17 Heat - Is this OK?

RPB1975

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hey Guys!

So I recently purchased an HP Envy 17, and I love it. I only have a few minor gripes. Of those gripes, the only one that concerns me is the heat issue. The computer gets hot to the touch on the left side when gaming. You could probably cook an egg on one part in particular (granted...it may take a while). I decided to run HW Monitor to see what the actual temps were (of the CPU and GPU). I have attached two screenshots below. Things to keep in mind:

a) The temps were taken after 2-3 hours of gaming (right after closing the game).

b) The laptop was sitting on a cooling pad with the fans below the left side....it gets a little hotter without the cooling pad.

What are your thoughts? Is this too much heat for the components or can the i7 and ATI Radion 5850m handle these quite well? The GPU did seem to max at 85 degrees celcius...which is pretty toasty. Your help is appreciated!

Ok, so I can't figure out how to paste in the screenshots (I don't have them posted online), so I will give you the details:

CPU: Max between 64 and 73 degrees celcius (avg...62 to 64)

GPU: Max between 69 and 82 degrees celcius (avg...66 to 67)

ACPI: Max between 64 and 73 degrees celcius (avg...63 to 65)

It also says my HD's are 41 degrees celcius, but I am not sure how accurate that read is.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
GPU Mobility 5850 84 deg C is Ok
I7 100 degrees C is max

The HP spec's make no sense to me:
Operating ( not writing to optical disk) 0-35 deg C
operating (writing to optical disk) 5-35 deg C
Nonoperating -20 - 60 deg C

So If the case isn't melting your ok?
I'd carry a can of compressed air in the bag and clean the cooling fins often.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
to attach an image, you need to open an account such as photobucket... and once you upload the image there, then you can paste the link here.

laptops get hot very quickly in general, unless you are using a netbook, or a laptop with a lower grade CPU and GPU.
the temperatures you had are very normal, for most laptops that are used heavely.
I'm not saying this is ok, but it is normal.
60C and below if good, 70 is ok, 80 is hot, 90 is dangerous, 100 is shutdown.
you don't want to get much hotter than that.
its a good thing to have a cooler, as long as it is effective. but one way you should keep your laptop from overheating, is to spray using a can of compressed air in the fan vents, and others vents that you see on the laptop. this will kick dust out. dust can cause a major issue with heat, since it absorbes the heat, and doesn't expell it from the laptop. i would suggest that you spray atleast once a month or so, and like i did, you will great results. But be careful! you have to make sure that the label says that it is ok to use on laptops, not all do so bewarned. you can get a can from office depot.
overall, you just need to monitor the laptop. always be sure that you are using it on a flat, solid surface, not a carpet or bed.
and if you are gaming, and you have things running on your laptop that you don't need, then close them, it will keep the processor from working harder than it needs to.
these were just a few tips that i use.
P.S. if you are using the Intel Core i7 version of the laptop, is is for sure that it will kick out more heat.
i hope you won't have any problems with it!

justpost

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I found a great way to keep that infamously hot left side of the HP Envy cool at all times. It works VERY well and costs under 10 dollars. I'm surprised I hadn't thought of this before since it's so simple.

Buy a simple desk fan and blow it directly on (or at) the hot section of your keyboard. I bought a Cool-Breeze fan and did exactly that and it WORKS. It is now the same general temperature as the rest of the keyboard. In other words, it is perfectly cool, how it should be! And that's a cool thing. :)

The fan isn't even all that big. It's the smallest model they have, is very quiet, and you can pick one up at your local CVS or convenience store. They run under $10 and they are WELL worth the investment.

Here I was looking for a one-sided cooling system that would reduce the insane amount of heat coming out of the keyboard when a simple desk fan would have done the trick nicely.

More specifics:

Brand: Cool-Breeze fan
Model: F-0411(EB69223)
Other: Has power cord, one speed, chassis that tilts

Lastly, to make sure I wasn't imagining anything, I turned the fan off for about 10 minutes. Surely enough, the keyboard started to heat up again.

Hope this helps!

Mike15243

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

I have the same laptop and i had the same problem. it is an improperly installed heat sync. i sent my laptop back and had HP "fix it" and had the same issue.

i gave up and did it my self. (they have no problem giving you the operator manual - to dismantle it properly) replace the heat sync paste (i recommend arctic silver 5) after replacing the heat sync paste my self, my computer does not go above 65C even when forcing the processor to stay at its highest state and running heavy CPU applications. (i also recommend HWinfo - as it allows you to manually set the fan speed. http://www.hwinfo.com/ )