Solved! Heating&Performance issues on Lenovo X61

eogkdgotleo

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I bought Think Pad X61 in 2008. I've been using this laptop for word processing and web surfing so far.
Then, recently I am starting to run a CPU intensive software for my personal research.
The problem is that X61 is designed to conserve energy, by which I mean heat. So, even if I set the system's power plan to performance mode, the system automatically down CPU clock to 800.
What on earth is this? What's the point of having 2.4G CPU in it? Why they just put 800Mhz one instead of 2.4?

It's like buying a Ferrari then you just realized that the top speed is limited to 50mph because engine produces lots of heat. lol

Have any Idea that I can get full speed (2.4G)?
- and I'm pretty sure the reason I can't get full speed is heat. when I bring the laptop in front of AC, the speed goes up to 2.4G.

The system is
Cpu: T8300 (2.4Ghz)
Ram: 4Gb
HDD: 500G

Thanks in advance

Solution
Indeed. All Intel chips have speedstep technology, which throttles the CPU down if you aren't using a program that requires the full shabang from the CPU. Now, if you are using a CPU intensive program, it will clock up to 2.4Ghz.
Indeed. All Intel chips have speedstep technology, which throttles the CPU down if you aren't using a program that requires the full shabang from the CPU. Now, if you are using a CPU intensive program, it will clock up to 2.4Ghz.

Solution