Battery/Charger Problem

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
So, my sister is asking me to help her fix her laptop. It's pretty old, HP Pavilion dx6000 series (6550 I think). I started by reformatting with the HP recovery, and deleted all the nortons and HP crap. However, one HUGE factors remains.

The power. There's a problem that the charger gets loose inside the connector to the notebook, that if it moves at all and isn't exactly in the right spot, it will disconnect from the pc, and stop charging. I don't know if it's the charger, or the connector on the laptop itself.

Now, it won't stay charged. We had it charging for hours, and it said 100 %, and when we unplugged it in went off in a minuet or two. I don't know if the charger isn't making contact with the battery, or if the battery is dead.

So, I talked to HP, and they said purchase a 90W AC adapter from them or best buy, and it should fix all the problems. I called best buy, and the only one they got is this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Smart+90-Watt+AC+Adapter+for+Select+HP+and+Compaq+Laptops/8881695.p?id=1215216792308&skuId=8881695 . From the reviews, it doesn't look good. I WOULD purchase through HP, however from previous takes with buying from them (getting sent the wrong recovery disks 5 times in a row...) I don't think they'll manage to send me the right adapter -.-.

Just as a side note, it seems when I push the cable in by the connector a little tighter, it makes a more solid connection. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?!?!?!?

Any help would be awesome! :D

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
For adaptors - try newegg, cheaper and better selection normally.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Laptop+AC+adaptors

However; the problem you discribed sound more like the female connector in the laptop needs to be changed - it is not gripping the male plug properly. HOWEVER a new charger MAY (Only May) correct this. It is too bad you cannot find a friend with a simular charger and try their's.

Hopefully you have not messed the battery up with improper charging cycles. (li-ion are somewhat more forgiving than Nicads where).

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

It's my sister's laptop as I said, and yes, she does just about always leave it plugged in. Any ideas how I would fix the female connector?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
First, as I said, it a good possibility - It would need to be verified and that takes a physical look which means dissasemble. There are two parts the center Pin and a pressure tab for the barrel. You can try to bend the tab slightly. But unless you are good with this kind of work it's best left to someone who has experience. Replacement means getting the part and unsoldering and resoldering the new part, again not for the faint of heart.

My first option is to replace the charger to verify that the charger/plug is not at fault.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
RC is spot on. I'v worked with a few Dell laptops that had these symptoms and all them were fixed by replacing the female connector on the laptop.

Be warned: If you do decide to fix this yourself, it's not the easiest thing to do.

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Oh. Well, I don't think I should try to then. Should I bring it to bestbuy/microcenter? My sister said she thinks it's the wire, because when she bends it it connects. Idk :/

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Okay, my friend helped me out, he said it is NOT the female end. If it was the female end, the pin in the female should be moving, and if I held the male end while bending the wire the power would loose connection. He said it's the wire. Also, there is a small dent/cut near the end of the wire, is there a way to fix this? I'm trying to spend as little money as possible for a new AC adapter, http://www.frys.com/product/5845773 :)

RvJbK.jpg

3FuLM.jpg

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
This is much easier. You still need to know how to strip the wires, and do some soldering.

You would.
!) Need voltmeter (measure the male end so that you know which is Positive and which is negative). Will check mine and let you know.
2) Dikes (wire cutters) some electrical tape (better yet some shrink tubing)

3) Cut the wire about an inch before the nick. Take the male end you cut off and go to Radio Shack and get a new male end and attach to wire from Charger to the Plug (solder).

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Okay, I'll head to radioshack tomorrow. I need to get a voltmeter, I think my uncle has some wire cutters, I'll get shrink tubing, and I ask them for the same male head of the laptop adapater? Should i bring it and ask? And what if they don't have it.

Also, this would be the first time I'm soldering anything. Any tips :<

Also also, do I need to buy solder? I'm completely new D:

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Also also, do I need to buy solder? I'm completely new D:
Yes, also you will need a soldering iron (lol). Radioshack usually sells 2 types: one with 15W and another with 15/30W, I recommend you get the 15/30W as you will be able to solder thicker wires if needed with 30W.

Okay, my friend helped me out, he said it is NOT the female end. If it was the female end, the pin in the female should be moving, and if I held the male end while bending the wire the power would loose connection. He said it's the wire.
He's right, lucky for you this is much easily fixed. Good friend you got there, looks like he knows what he's doing. If possible, I would ask him to help you solder/fix this.

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

My uncle has a solder pen or something... I can use that. I'll need solder itself, and a voltmeter, and shrink tubing.

Also, he's my friend on steam... idk him in real life. And when asking him for help on this he called me ignorant and unadded me. :<

Also, what if Radioshack doesn't sell the male end?

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Cross that bridge later - if they do not have, There are several electronics parts stores online, ie digitkey. (will need to know the size, normally they go by the outside diameter in mm).
Just measured mine, 0.217 in x 25.4 mm/in = 5.5 mm

Yes, take it with you, He can check it against a female and verify size of male (they are normally helpfull).

On Solder - make sure it is NOT acid core. You want rosin core and preferably 60/40.

Polatity - the outer part of the male plug is negative, center is Positive.

Late, In turn into a punkin after 11 PM (and can not spell worth 2 hoots to a barn door. Have to get up to go to work tommarrow.

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Okay, I'll try to get my mom to take me to RadioShack tomorrow. Thanks :D

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Ooooooooookay. I just got back from Radio Shack. I got the Rosin 60/40 solder, and a set of heat shrink tubing different sides. They didn't have the male adapter, only some iGo ***. A guy there that didn't work there helped me and told me to do this:

Cut the wire AFTER the slice, and before it, leaving me with the male end and the wire without the cut. Then, attack the bigger heat shrink on the wire, and solder the center connection, then solder the connectors around it, then close up all the heat shrink. WTF? How do I do that, what happened to positive and negative.

He also said it could EASILY be the female adapter, because the laptop is old. He said if that's the case, just plug in the adapter, stretch it out, and put duct tape lol. I still don't think it's the female adapter, but whatever. I'm waiting for my uncle to wake up to try this.