Gaming Laptops

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I'm looking to spend about $1000 for a new gaming laptop. I want to use this laptop as a desktop replacement mostly, as I have found it is actually cheaper to buy a gaming laptop than it is to build a gaming PC now-a-days.

Here are the laptops that I have been looking at :

"Asus G73" - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?skuId=9741729&id=1218165344675#tabbed-customerreviews

"Toshiba Qosimo X505-Q885" - http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Qosmio-X505-Q885-TruBrite-18-4-Inch/dp/B003N17BRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282879458&sr=8-2

I have been researching for hours on what laptop I should get. These 2 have been on the top of my list. I'm weary of getting any Asus laptops because I have read a lot about heat problems with them. Being that this laptop will be my main computer, I want it to last for at-least 3 years of hardcore gaming. Are laptops even capable of sustaining their life of gaming due to lack of airflow and other problems?

I am also scared to touch any ATI product again. I have had numerous problems with the last 3 ATI card that I had. The company is a nightmare to me. nVidia seems to be rock solid. I realize that the 5870 will give me better performance, but I'm willing to sacrifice performance for reliability.

Lastly, I want to buy a laptop that is made with quality and is not just rushed into the market. Any feedback of reliability of the two brands and/or laptops I mentioned above?
*EDIT* just read some reviews on the G73 exclusive of Best Buy, there are about 15 awful reviews of it, but 140 great reviews. I'm torn about people saying the airflow is great, to the airflow being awful. I want to use a gaming laptop that does not overheat!

1_What is your budget?
$1000 range
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3_What screen resolution do you want?
would like atleast 1600 x 900

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
somewhat portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
About 2 hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
High

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500 GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
atleast 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm specifically looking at Asus, Toshiba, and Sager
13_What country do you live in?
USA
14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
Well, I don't think you can expect any computer to last 3 years of "hard core" gaming (unless you're talking about a desktop that you can upgrade), since i'm sure Crytek will just come out with a new Crysis that makes this year's top of the line computer beg for mercy... hell, Crysis 2 might already do that if they're not careful...

That being said, the G73JH is a very good laptop in terms of specs, price, and design (well, YMMV on the design, but I like it :p), and the 5870 should be good for everything that you can currently throw at it on High. The temperature of the laptop might creep up as it's age increases, but it should be something that a little bi-monthly cleaning will take care of.
Well you can't expect a gaming laptop with a 5870M to run cool, G73 is no exception.It's VGA/CPU will get warm under load, but its cooling system is quite good(according to the reviews), and its significantly faster than Qosmio X505(5870M > GT 360M)

death_relic0

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
hmm, the link u gave for the asus laptop isnt working.. in any case, i believe u were talking about the laptop with the gtx 260m and p8600 or p8700 processor. well i believe that is out of stock now or something. but in any case,

5870 does produce a lot of heat, but laptops, mainly asus laptops, are equipped with excellent cooling systems, so just be sure to put the laptop on a flat surface and u shouldnt have any problems. plus asus and toshiba are supposed to be the best laptop manufacturers out there and so u shouldnt worry about their quality...

the qosmio laptop has style to spare, an excelent processor, everything.! its drawback is the graphics card. it should be able to play most games currently released at a good resolution, excluding some power hungry games like metro 2033 for which u may have to lower the resolution a bit or reduce AA, AF and graphics quality. how ever no one can be very sure about the future, specially as u plan on keeping it for 3 years..

ur best choice wouldve been an asus or toshiba laptop with a gtx 260m but i believe they are all sold out (dont go for another brand as u plan to keep ur laptop for 3 years, unless its one of those 'custom' brands),

in any case, i belive that qosmio is ur best choice for ur budget and purpose. although it wont be quite on the portable sid

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Well, I don't think you can expect any computer to last 3 years of "hard core" gaming (unless you're talking about a desktop that you can upgrade), since i'm sure Crytek will just come out with a new Crysis that makes this year's top of the line computer beg for mercy... hell, Crysis 2 might already do that if they're not careful...

That being said, the G73JH is a very good laptop in terms of specs, price, and design (well, YMMV on the design, but I like it :p), and the 5870 should be good for everything that you can currently throw at it on High. The temperature of the laptop might creep up as it's age increases, but it should be something that a little bi-monthly cleaning will take care of.

Solution

cpoullas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks guys for the input. The only reason why I wanted a laptop was because my ATI 4850 has been broke for the past year and a half, but the new 10.8 drivers fixed it! Thanks all for the input.

theblc84

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
If you go with the Asus, I would say don't get it from best buy. You can find other websites with a little bit better specs ( screen res, larger hard drive, etc) from other places like newegg you will pay a little bit more but the accidental damage coverage is included it is $350 extra from best buy. That is just my personal opinion.