Help with Dual Monitor setup with External LCD and Laptop

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hi.

I have an external flat panel LCD display attached to a my laptop computer.

Everything is working great, however....

I have the laptop set up on the right side as my Primary or Main display, and have Extended the desktop onto the external LCD, which sits to the left. By going into the Control Panel I am able to make this work perfectly.

HOWEVER, when I reboot the machine, put it to sleep, etc. and then start it up again, it always switches back to making the LCD my Primary display.

Does anybody know this this always reverts back to that setting?

Is there a way to make it so the laptop stays as my Primary display???

Just a thought I've had while trying to fix this: When I "Identify" the monitors in the control panel, the laptop display always identifies as "2" because it sits on the RIGHT side. That's always the case, even when it is the Primary display. This might the be issue, but I can't seem to make the Laptop identify as display "1"

Maybe that's not even the issue, though.

PLEASE HELP!!

THANK YOU!!

Solution
The computer had no idea if you put the monitor on the right or left. You can have the monitor on the floor and put the laptop in the stove, it won't make a bit of difference.

Try this. Boot up the laptop with no monitor attached. Then plug in the external monitor. You will probably need to go to the video options and enable the display. Then reboot with the monitor attached and see if it keeps the laptop display as the primary one. Windows sees the display as 1 or 2 depending on when it's recognized in the boot process.
The computer had no idea if you put the monitor on the right or left. You can have the monitor on the floor and put the laptop in the stove, it won't make a bit of difference.

Try this. Boot up the laptop with no monitor attached. Then plug in the external monitor. You will probably need to go to the video options and enable the display. Then reboot with the monitor attached and see if it keeps the laptop display as the primary one. Windows sees the display as 1 or 2 depending on when it's recognized in the boot process.

Solution

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Veteran, thank you for the advice.

I have tried what you suggested and it now will launch Windows each time with the laptop as my Primary monitor, as I had desired. This part of my problem has been solved.

However, I was not clear about the left/right issue I mentioned before.

Let me re-explain and if you have further thoughts please do let me know.

Now that laptop identifies as Monitor "1" and the external as Monitor "2," Windows ALWAYS starts up with monitor "1" aligned on the LEFT side when I access the control panel.

Because I EXTEND the desktop onto the external monitor, I need the external monitor "2" to align to the left in the control panel. Otherwise, I have to drag the mouse to the RIGHT to make it appear on the external monitor, which as I said sits to the left.

There seems to no way to make it so that my laptop is both my Primary monitor at all times, and at the same time have it align to the left of the external monitor.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about the physical alignment. I know that does not matter. I am referring to the alignment in the control panel.

In sum: IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE IT SO THAT MY LAPTOP IS ALWAYS THE PRIMARY MONITOR, AND ALSO SO THAT IT ALWAYS ALIGNS TO THE LEFT OF THE EXTERNAL MONITOR IN THE CONTROL PANEL???

Thanks so much - I do hope you have some more helpful suggestions!

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
And when I said I want the laptop to align to the left, I meant to the right. I have probably confused you, so sorry. I've confused myself.

Re-write:

In sum: IS THERE ANY WAY TO MAKE IT SO THAT MY LAPTOP IS ALWAYS THE PRIMARY MONITOR, AND ALSO SO THAT IT ALWAYS ALIGNS TO THE RIGHT OF THE EXTERNAL MONITOR IN THE CONTROL PANEL???

graco

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hello again, thanks for following up.

I do know you can drag them and then make sure the laptop is clicked as the main monitor.

The issue is that is does NOT save upon rebooting Windows, or returning after the system goes to sleep, etc.

I know how to set it up correctly by dragging the monitors and then clicking which I want as the main.

But why is it not staying that way permanently?

ejeyc

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

hello there,

i just dont know where can i find the video oftion on my screen?