Laptop for weak ANSYS CFD work

gone

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hi THG community,

I need help choosing between a laptop with AMD P320 with HD 4250 or the Intel i3-350M with the integrated Arrandale GPU which is only slightly slower than the HD4250 according to this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

I am planning to use ANSYS for some fluids modeling and/or heat transfer modeling. Does anyone know if ANSYS Fluent and CFX are CPU bound or GPU bound (or if they make heavy use of the GPU at all?), and are disk access times important (5400rpm vs 7200rpm)?

Also, I'm only a student so I'll just be doing some pretty basic modeling, and a workstation is out of my budget anyways.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

*Edited to include form

1_What is your budget?
~$500 Canadian

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Doesn't need to be portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not going to be portable, so doesn't matter

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No gaming (except maybe Starcraft II on light)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Light ANSYS CFD work, this is the main purpose of the laptop

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter, only that it is preferably 7200rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
N/A

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
A year or two, not long

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Doesn't matter

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Doesn't matter

13_What country do you live in?
Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I know a cheap computer isn't really appropriate for CFD work, but the work I'm doing should be light enough that consumer-grade laptops should work well enough. Specifically I was wondering of those types of programs are CPU or GPU bound.

Thanks!