Cinema 4D - Laptop or Desktop?

G

Hey everyone, I use Cinema 4D to do character animation. Being a fairly intensive application, the best bang for my buck, so to speak, is quite important.

However, I love laptops, and would much prefer a laptop over a desktop. But I'm aware that the CPUs and graphics cards for desktop far outperform their laptop counterparts.

So I'm trying to decide whether I want the benefits of a laptop or desktop performance, and wondered if you lot could help.

I'm willing to trade off some speed for the benefits of a laptop, but if there is absolutely no contest, for whatever reasons you lot give, I shall have to get a desktop. However, if you lot feel the performance isn't really that compromised in real world situations, I'd more than happily go for a laptop.

This is mostly theoretical at this point, so don't worry too much about budget and whatnot, though mostly it's going to be fairly high-end, probably with i7s, around 8gb of RAM, good graphics (nvidia, preferably), etc.

So in summary, my question is this: in the real world, for 3D, do you need a desktop?

Thanks!