Solved! Yes, another I need a laptop for school post

kat50

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
1_What is your budget? $500-$600 ish

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1024x768 (typical)

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5_How much battery life do you need? 3+

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? It would be nice to be able to play a few games, Steam games L4D2 etc. My desktop is built for gaming, this is mainly for school so ...

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Watching movies, social networking, IT Schoolwork

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320GB-500GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links : http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/ and http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740+50001315&IsNodeId=1&name=ASUS&Page=2

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possible

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVDwr would be nice

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No HP family members have had issues. ASUS/Dell not sure about others. I was looking at refurbished but New Egg only has a 90 day warranty. Wasn't excited about that. Dell is a 1 year, but, friends have told me about overheating issues. So that's why I am here trying to avoid "those" models which are known bads.

13_What country do you live in? US

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. I am in my first semester of Computer Network Admin and Security. I would like something that would serve me well through school and after. I would like Bluetooth capabilities I also have a smartphone. I am not sweating whatever OS comes with it, I can get OS' from school. Stability is key, it is my first laptop. I don't want a huge heavy laptop to tote around, just want to be able to work (school work etc) anywhere. There are so many this is good, these our bad stories about overheating, mb's etc, I feel lost in confusion :p Thanks for your help. Also would you buy refurbished if yes/no why/whynot ?